Page 97 of 252 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    For future reference, look up your local Snap On dealer. They are independent owners, so they rely on your business. Check with your local auto shops to find out when the tool truck is scheduled to stop by.
    X2. If I think what I want may not be on the truck I send the driver a text so he can get it ordered. Additionally, I don’t know of a place locally that calibtates torque wrenches so I get that done through the truck as well.

As a side note I will add that, even though the tool quality has declined some over the years, Craftsman has the better warranty. I hope that hasn’t changed with Sears going under. Snap On would never replace a rusty broken tool found in a ditch but Sears would.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

who ever the individual was that welded the body on this jeep must have been happy in his work or got paid by the spot weld.. my way of doing this is first you got to find them, then mark them, then punch, then drill, then separateweld1.jpg weld2.jpg weld 3.jpg Then where you are positive that all the spot welds are exposed and popped you try to separate and lo and behold there are more welds....

from the curve of the passenger side to the back deck there were 25 spot welds. the attachment at the front of the fender repair 18 in 10 linear inches....
    am in the process of roughing out the replacement floor and the supports, when i am comfortable with the fit, will magic mark the final cut,,,, want enough steel to weld repair. but since have never done this before am FREAKIN TERRIFIED
    Last edited by pelago; 11-11-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Measure, trim shy of your line,fit the panel, then triple check the fitment on all sides. Clamp the piece in place and check it over again. Time taken now will ensure that everything will fall into place. Yes, they were proud of their use of spot welds.

Snap On quality has fallen off dramatically. I see that Craftsman was bought out by Lowe's, so it will remain to be seen if they are as good as Seats was about their warranty.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.

first issue on body... this dam thing, it is so welded in that to replace it is going to be a first class bitch the one in there is just rusted out

M38A1 BODY REBUILD 010.jpg

Is just the lower section where the floor and side panels come in contact rusted out? I just replaced the lower half, (6 to 8"). You are right, the top of that upright is a bitch. Everything hinges on the support being right. There are a stupid amount of spot welds binding from every direction.

" There are a stupid amount of spot welds binding from every direction" yupper. will have to customize the long one,,, short one just too short to replace the rusted section UGH

Since I used an salvaged upright, I put it in the chop saw and cut off what I needed to replace the cancer eaten portion. Then I didn't need to disturb the entire piece. I had to cut out the sheet metal on the outside to finish the weld all the way around. After blending in the weld, if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't have known where the repair was made. The pictures included start off with the rotten upright, then the last three are after the repair, and sheet metal being affixed to the outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FOR ME, I think the floor goes in at least temporarily to get correct measurment fo support strut then bastardize the one i have to fit?? got a lot of floor removed, extre wide cuts to get down to nitty gritty of good fit

I did it both ways on the one I did. The driver's side had the floor permenantly in first, then the passenger side the floor was fitted but removed to weld in the support.

You got this handled. Nothing to fear.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-13-2018 at 07:37 PM.

DAMN, MIGHT HAVE PAINTED MYSELF INTO A CORNER HERE... I assumed i could get what body parts needed, i know when you assume you make a *** out u and me. but anyway am fitting int pieces and parts and now have a dilema
    what goes in the hole?? from repair passenger side to good drivers side whole lot of empty space and dam if i can not get a diagram to see what panels (outline) i am missing and damned if i have skills to make any one photo would be from inside looking down, one from ground looking up and another showing one of my repaired pieces in to alighn the pasenger side repair piece and i added the piece kaiser sells for over trans mission, but i dont see how it goes in??
    002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgtransmission cover.jpg