I can tell on myself. I was working on a Gallion road grader. One of the moldboard lift cylinders was leaking at the rod packing. That's not a big deal, just lower the moldboard to where it rest on the ground, then unbolt the rod end from the the carrier. Loosen the cap end hydraulic line then tipped the cylinder up to drain the contents of the cap end. Then loosen the rod end hose and let drain. From there the torch had to be brought out to warm up the collar to bust it loose. Everything was going to plan this far. Since the cylinder was still mounted to the grader, I felt proud of myself for being so ingenious. With the collar cooled off, it was time to let gravity do its job, with minimal effort on my part, to then drop the rod end out of the bore. Whet the packing reached the end of the bore, it usually takes a couple of whacks to get the packing past the end. Well, here where everything goes to hell. When the packing exits the bore, there was a gallon or so of hydraulic fluid sitting on top of the packing. In all my brilliance, when I thought I managed to successfully drain the cylinder, it all didn't. That wouldn't be that bad of a deal, I've made bigger messes on purpose, but I had decided that the best way to handle the rod end was to bear hug it. When the packing released the residual oil, it dumped down the front of me. The worst part was that the majority of the oil went down the pant leg, filling my boot with oil. I kept a change of uniforms at the shop, just for such an emergency, but not a spare pair of boots. Word to the wise, floor dry will pull the lion share of oil from the boot. I didn't have to polish them for the remainder of their life span.