Page 95 of 252 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

See, now you're an authority. People will ask you how to rebuild Ross steering boxes now!

Good deal. Now on to the body work!

It just dawned on me.. Damn the frame, motor, all that stuff. Hell its done. steering in, need to asdjust the drag link and someone showed a tool for that adj. and said snap on had it sure wish had a part number. Now to find a spot in driveway and move it out of garage. get a good tarp and cover her up good!! could even put the fenders on and attach to the front housing for the radiator and lay hood on it for more protection. put the rebuilt ross back in NO FREAKIN LEAKS!!. Was standing in the garage and looking at it and said "holy crappers batman your done with this part"
    may 28 2016 started removing motor.....
    "
    well, the darn thing is out

1947 WILLYS and each and every bolt was covered and locked up with 70yr old rustAttachment 1180[ATTACH=CONFIG]1180[]
    plan is to get to frame, sand blast paint and do frame up restoration
    was pleasantly surprised to take vlve cover off and find it pretty clean "

Views: 108,183 damn 108thousand hits on this
    Last edited by pelago; 11-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.

I have a socket for the drag link, but a modified flat washer and a pair of vise grips will work. I'll look to see what the model number for the socket is and let you know .

108,000 hits, no surprise. Your content is interesting and informing, so we all check a few times a day for updates. We did miss the daily updates while you were off the radar fighting mother nature.

damn, looks smaller outside dont it...

DSC02210.jpg

Looks good. Now, I remember what I was going to look for all day today. The drag link socket.

Yeah, but everything you've touched looks fan-dern-tastic!

At one of the local parades, I saw an old Allis-Chalmers tractor with an exhaust manifold that looked really fantastic. I asked the guy about it and he said that he found a shop to give it a gray ceramic coating that resists heat to over 1200 degrees, no rust at all.

Maybe in a year or so I'll look that guy up and have him do the manifold on the '48.

The socket is as follows;

https://store.snapon.com/Drag-Link-I...t-P642829.aspx

Check into Cerakote. Your local firearms dealer can set you up with a high temp coating.

https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/?gc...SAAEgLr__D_BwE

Ceramic Coating for Exhaust Manifold

You Wrote:

"Check into Cerakote. Your local firearms dealer can set you up with a high temp coating."

I showed my local gun decorator (a really fantastic custom gun finisher - he will paint a Glock Teal Blue or Glow Pink {really} to match the Vera Bradley purse for the ladies ...) but he wanted nothing to do with an exhaust manifold. He didn't have an oven big enough to hold it.

But, he did build me a beautiful custom Match AR; Navy SCPO emblem, "SENIOR CHIEF" on the stock and very subtle stars and stripes on the receiver.

The ceramic coating guy is only about a half-hour down the road from here, so it's not that big a deal to get it there - just the job of taking it off.

Ira's chassis work on the M38A1 looks great.. He gets his chipping, painting and mechanic's rating - now he goes to Sheet Metal 400 class.

Cerakoting a pistol to match a Vera Bradley purse could get expensive. Being that I spend equal amounts on Heep parts/time to new purses, then the pistol would have to match per pattern changes....every six months. It's hard enough to find the specific wallet to match. Look at the money Pelago saves being single. His puppy doesn't require all these extras.