Page 146 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

took oil pump out and did a close visual inspection of the gears on the pump, some wear on them, but that is to be expected, but gears are sharp and clean, and the distributor goes in and is tight?. again went thru distributor and could find nothing out of ordinary or not right, assembled it all in engine and started at the moment the starter kicked, adj timing to 5D advanced and let it run for two hours, nada, nothing wrong?? beats me, but then took jeep outside and gave it a bath to get rid of pollen.

THEN DROVE IT AROUND THE BLOCK TWICE. DID NOT LEAVE ANY PIECES AND PARTS ALONGSIDE ROAD!. STEERS LIKE A TANK, BUT FRONT END NOT ALIGNED. went thru all gears, and no grinding, temp at 180. Just ran fine???

driving 1.jpgdriving2.jpgdriving3.jpg

Gal derned Gremlins. You may have threated it enough times to listen.

Buddy had an impala. He rebuilt the 327 that was in it. Fired it up for the first time and it had a rod knock. Took it back apart and checked bearings. Everything was right. He put it back together and the rod knock came back. Took the motor apart again, sent everything back to the machine shop for to be remeasured and checked. Put it back in, rod knock again. Pushed the car out of the shop, put a brick on the gas pedal, and let her scream outside the shop. Car sat out there for an hour and a half at wide open throttle, then it died. Went out to look her over, no oil pan failure, but rather ran out of gas. Put gas in, and fired it up with no more rod knock. As of 20 years ago, he was still driving the Imp. Hopefully you don't have any more problems! Time for a beer.

TELL YOU ONE THING THAT SEAT IS THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE THING IN THE WORLD WITHOUT A CUSHION!!..Cushions on the way... Beer darn right

I went through mine thoroughly. Even with decent pins bushings etc, it still isn't the smoothest thing when you rotate the rotor against the advance springs. In a well worn condition they can definitely be catchy. That's good news if it stays away! If it comes back it sounds like you have narrowed it down. The oil pump seems to have passed inspection.

Seat cushions are a must.
    We had a Sun distributor machine, at the Ford tractor shop. It worked great for setting the tach and dwell, then also to play around with advance springs and weights. We carried service parts to rebuild just about every piece within the distributor.

Man I havn't seen one of those for a while and, it was well used! One of those right now would definitely rule out the distributor. There is only one other thing I can think of, and that would require the cam to be changing time also. It sounds like it is running far to good for any cam related problems.

I saw where Walk's was now making springs for the seats. They looked pretty good. I gave a lad some CJ3B seats that had springs, for helping me pull the body. Much nicer feel than the foam that I have in the 3A.

I could see if there is any endplay on the cam. It will be interesting to figure this one out.... Hopefully it stays in time, and will remain something to ponder over.

I found a set of boat seat cushions that fit perfectly in the 2A seat frames. They are foam, but ride alright when the radials are installed. The seats that were in it when purchased were a set of Dodge 100 van seats. They were foam over springs, and we're really comfortable, but they need to be recovered.

End play would do it but, it would have to be a ton! I think the spec is .004" to .007". It would take a lot more than .007" to show up on a timing light more than a degree or so.

Agreed. Just brainstorming out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I could see if there is any endplay on the cam. It will be interesting to figure this one out.... Hopefully it stays in time, and will remain something to ponder over.

I found a set of boat seat cushions that fit perfectly in the 2A seat frames. They are foam, but ride alright when the radials are installed. The seats that were in it when purchased were a set of Dodge 100 van seats. They were foam over springs, and we're really comfortable, but they need to be recovered.
    I lost quite a bit of wt, and am now """got a boney ***"""", tell yo what that dams seat hurt, and i had a boat cushion in my boat