Page 237 of 252 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    the seat cushions should require screws and washers that mount the seat cushion to the frame. Para cord would be a good alternative to lace the covers onto the frame.

The steering wheel should be the same size as the m38 and the other civilian jeeps. The a1 wheel is green instead of black.
    was wondering diameter

17 1/2" for the Sheller steering wheels for M38, M38a1, M170 Ambulance version.

I know the E Brake designed during wartime prep, but holy moly it is noisey, and loose as a goose, but it in i correct, wow what a monstrosity....
    also am working on wipers also, have no idea what kind of vacum is needed to run thee things
    Last edited by pelago; 04-13-2020 at 09:05 PM.

The wipers appear to be set up like the civilian Jeeps, the vacuum comes from a port on the intake manifold, and is assisted by a vacuum diaphragm on the fuel pump. The vacuum from the fuel pump provides vacuum when the motor is under load. There is a check valve that isolates the engine from the fuel pump to prevent a vacuum leak to the engine.

There is information in the Military manual par. 137 and par. 259. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...Ambulance-M170 follow the link to the manual.

there is some talk in these links as well.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...440&highlight=

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=303885

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...ewtopic&t=6967

M38A1 Wiper Vacuum Source

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    I know the E Brake designed during wartime prep, but holy moly it is noisey, and loose as a goose, but it in i correct, wow what a monstrosity....
    also am working on wipers also, have no idea what kind of vacum is needed to run thee things
    I think you've not bothered with the fording system vacuum lines, fittings and valves. There should be one line from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster on the unused half of the fuel pump, the other side goes up to the wiper motor.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    I think you've not bothered with the fording system vacuum lines, fittings and valves. There should be one line from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster on the unused half of the fuel pump, the other side goes up to the wiper motor.

I believe that is how i have it.
    LOOKED AT THESE, WHEN I GOT THE ENIGIN OUT FOUND MOST OF THE INTERCONNECT WERE JUST CUT AND CRIMPED.
    A1_lever_fuel_pump.sized.jpg My_1960_fuel_pump.sized.jpg

LOOKING AT THE PICTURES THE LOWER OUTLET THAT HAS CONSTANT VACUM I BELIEVE IS THE ONE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE WIPER, FUELIN, FUEL OUT CORRECT. AND THE OTHER VACUM WENT TO THE PCV VALVE AND ONTO THE INTTAKE?
    Last edited by pelago; 04-15-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Vacuum Line Routing

LOOKING AT THE PICTURES THE LOWER OUTLET THAT HAS CONSTANT VACUM I BELIEVE IS THE ONE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE WIPER, FUELIN, FUEL OUT CORRECT. AND THE OTHER VACUM WENT TO THE PCV VALVE AND ONTO THE INTTAKE?[/QUOTE]

Ira:

I’ve not see one of these in person, but here is what I think is going to be the proper vacuum line routing for you:

A. The big square fitting in the middle of the picture is the fitting for the vent line system. Yours is capped off – I’d plug this line.

B. The small line at the lower right is the vacuum line that goes to the wipers and distributor. I would keep the line over to the distributor. (There is a LOT of debate over the need for a vacuum line to the distributor. The most conservative folks say that it is needed to keep the coil from cooking itself. I don't know one way or the other, but I'd err on the side of caution)

C. There is a large line at the upper left. The tee-fitting branches out upward and to the right to the PCV valve and I believe the fording valve.
    The other end of this line goes back to the passenger side of the engine to the vacuum fitting on the intake manifold or carburetor base. The
    line coming straight at you curves around behind the pump and is the vacuum source to the pump. Of course you can’t get to it …

D. This is the fuel pump with the manual priming handle – there were at least two styles and yours might not have the handle.

I’ve also attached a picture of a wiper motor that we saw at Toledo last year…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-15-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Distributor vent lines

Probably TMI:

There are two vent fittings on the distributor. The upper left vent is to atmosphere, the lower right is vacuum. Note that air gets pulled past the coil...
    Attached Images Attached Images

tThe maintenance manual indicates that the constant flow input at lower side of pump goes to a "T" and that goes to wipers, okay one part of "T" from pump, other section goes to wiper, the last input comes from where? vacuum at carb? would have to i think due to wipers needing more oomph during operation and that comes from intake manifold? right?. picture i posted earlier is how mine is set up wirth exception of T

So where's the last vacuum connect to? And, since it's a T, wondering how it's metered. Does it matter which end either one plugs into?