Page 106 of 252 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

yeah it came from them, i took it out to the tub and it is just not gonna work no matter how much i beaton it can i ask maybe where yours came from am returning this
    Last edited by pelago; 12-04-2018 at 08:48 AM.

I've bought parts from both of these vendors, but I think the sump came from Army Jeep Parts. The second is from another vendor, and it looks just like the one I had purchased. It's cheaper on Ebay, plus shipping.

https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-2215...ed-681167.aspx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Tank-We...ZGjm:rk:1:pf:0
    Attached Images Attached Images

i think i will call them armyjeep anyway and just ask them if they come warped??? hard to imagine that there would be a demand for these enough to have multiple people making them????

off to sandblast, hopefully (at least in my lifetime) this is the last time this will ever look like this, next view will be in the white

offtosandblast2.jpgofftosandblast1.jpg

had an interesting conversation from and with the owner of army jeep parts, that gas tank well that all sell all come from the same guy?? and he said that if (repeat of kaiser) that you finess it in with clamps or rivets and push it down it will go in??? But again that goes against the old guy i talked to at a fabrications shop. dunnot am sort of in quandry over this. he also said "DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE IN PHILLIPINES IF IT IS PRIMER IT WAS MADE THERE" he told me he had installed some of the ones from phillipines (tail section) and they were absolutely horrible????????????????
    Last edited by pelago; 12-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.

this is pricey, but three people have said that that the ones from Phillipines and just not good and are a real trouble. but then there is this
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/usa-mad...s-52-66-m38a1/

That is ponderous. The one I purchased was good right out of the box. It was not in primer, and was of heavy gauge. It fit in place with no issues. When I shop around, the first thing I look for is who or where made it. The problem with the one you received is that when it was spot welded together, they didn't disipate the heat correctly. The heat distorted the piece until it looks the way it does now. A little tweaking is to be expected, but that one is extreme.

A totally new perspective on the rebuild, seems as if all the dirty work of tearing out bad sections, beating my head agains the wall about welds, actual sandblasting is done and back in garage

newday1.jpgnewday3.jpgnewday6.jpgnewday7.jpgnewday10.jpg

" A little tweaking is to be expected, but that one is extreme. " methinks that in this case the tweaking is a BFH
    Last edited by pelago; 12-05-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Looking good. I see what you mean about the rear panel having the chunk missing. That is odd on how they did that.

yeah they butchered it?? but the pieces and parts left were not any good and if the cut out represented what was left,,, would have been pretty rough. got some small areas to correct by welding, and have lots of scrap left over.. to do it right i think spend a lot of time in prep and cutting out bad section and making sure new repair piece fits as it should then weld??

got one section on the firewall right next to the battery box. am sure it got rusted out due to water not draining and the way it was made there sure was not much room to drain,,, got to cut out the bad piece with a dremel tool, but i got one of those and put in a new piece

Turning into an All-Round Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    got to cut out the bad piece with a dremel tool, but i got one of those and put in a new piece
    You're getting into this body rebuild stuff. You've got to admit that the tub looks a whole lot better once you get all the rust and old paint off of it!

Just remember that when you cut a patch, undersize by a 1/16 of an inch for a butt joint. Then the metal will not buckle when welding. Use the copper to back it, then tack a few, then move to the opposite side. Don't attempt to lay a bead, or you'll go back to fearing body work.