Page 227 of 252 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I've gotten pretty good at eyeball toe in adjustments. I get it pretty close then get it out on the blacktop and turn the steering wheel straight, then do the fine adjustment and it's good to go.

If you really want to do it yourself, a little cash and some training, and it can be done at home.

The toe can easily be set with a good Machinist tape measure, two people and some string and straight edges. You need to be able to read to a 1/64" repeatedly. 3/64" to 3/32" is the specification for toe on an older CJ. I use the tools below on everything I need to set up. On our Jeeps caster and camber cannot be set but, if it is way off, you know something is bent. These tools take a little skill and practice but once you master it, it is the way to go. I learned to use these types of tools 40 years ago. They still work today. You do not need the million dollar shop Alignment Rack. They are (Shop Alignment Rack) one heck of a lot faster however! At the track this is how it was done. It takes a day to learn to use these tools. There is help on the Web. Once you do it, it is rewarding! Anyway for you true DIY guy's, there is a way.

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...etitle=Toe-Bar
    http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...%84%a2-Adapter
    http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...-Plates-(pair)
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-18-2020 at 08:50 AM.

there are two fill bolts on each and every thing that has fluid in it, one to fill and one to drain and each and every one of them leaks, hell with it let it drip

It's like you said before, sometimes old things just drip a little!

I thought mine was perfect then noticed a very slow leak at the bottom of the front differential. Don't know if it's around the bolt or the gasket. All cleaned up with new gasket and sealer and still leaks.

The plugs are pipe thread, so they need some pipe dope to prevent oil from migrating through the threads to your clean driveway or shop floor. If your cover gasket leaks, then your cover is not flat. The bolts have been over torqued, and deformed the cover causing a slight void in between the gasket and cover.

Well, I thought the cover looked pretty good but that is a thin gasket so just a little bulge could make it leak for sure. I did seal the pipe threads on the drain plug but I know it is not leaking there.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    The plugs are pipe thread, so they need some pipe dope to prevent oil from migrating through the threads to your clean driveway or shop floor. If your cover gasket leaks, then your cover is not flat. The bolts have been over torqued, and deformed the cover causing a slight void in between the gasket and cover.
    GASKETS ALL HOLDING lube seems to run from drain and fill plugs

hey, this a trailer for a a m151 tires make me think so 87028263_2759371704144660_152654506478272512_o.jpg

Pull the plugs and smear with a pipe thread compound or Teflon tape. You'll have to drain and refill, a bit of a pain, but that should deal pile plug leaks.