Page 172 of 252 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

well, that is a start.... should be straightforward, the braces that came with the new tail section was not predrilled, but then again i groaned at 180.00 for a spare tire holder, going to see what i can come up with

They are proud of the carriers.

Jake got all tuckered out from supervising the hook up of all the fuel lines......****a real pain in the *** too, got bruised all to heck running the darn things***
    jake at 15weeks

9.jpg

HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE WITH GAS LINES. ONE FITTING AT THE FIRST 90 NOT QUITE TIGHT ENOUGH, AIR GETTING INTO AND THAT CREATED A PROBLEM AT PUMP AND CARB. BUT GOT IT SORTED OUT AND CONNECTED THE FUEL GUAGE IT SAID LESS THAN A QUARTER, BOUT RIGHT PUT FIVE GALLONS IN. drove it to nearest gas station and filled it up. not happy with brakes, i am just not knowledgeable to adjust these things i think i have it right and it is just not. also have a bad gasket at the fuel bowl on top and it is getting air in there and screws up the float. just can not find a gasket all by itself unless i get a 40.00 rebuild kit... damn
    SURE GOT A LOT OF WAVES AND HORNS HONKING AS I DROVE AT 40 MILES A HOUR.......
    OH YEAH FUEL GAUGE WENT TO FULL WITH 15 GALLONS MORE

I too am not real happy with how mine stops. It has a completely rebuilt brake system. The adjusting hardware is not new. I think that was a mistake. I have some work to do also. I found that simply loosing the lock nuts and moving the cam till it locks up the drum, and then backing it of just enough to set the drum free, does a great job of making sure the shoes are very close. I am having trouble with a few of the cams. On two wheels I was not able to get the brake to lock up by adjusting. I must have worn cams on a few. I am not sure why I was able to get some shoes to grab the drum and lock it up and some shoes would not grab. on some shoes I could adjust one cam to lock the wheel, back it off a touch and move to the other cam. I could rotate the cam adjuster around and around with no effect. After adjusting all the brakes I could this way, I had a much better pedal. Much higher. However there are two shoes I could not adjust due to the cams not getting the shoe close enough to the drum. It will stop but, it will not lock the brakes on any wheel.

I am not familiar with driving an old CJ at all. I am wondering if standing on the brakes is the way it is. It does not stop like my 2015 GMC.

Well, worst brakes i ever had was a35ford pick up pure mechanical took two men and a boy to stop , mine are terrible, and the shoes are new and drums although not turned were basically new, jeep only had 1500 odometermiles on it when it got parked. I dunno, maybe take it to a brake shop and find a mechanic that is old school??? Got to do something kinda scary. Had egzact same exp with the cams, and they are 15.00 a wheel for two

I just "bit the bullet" and spent $180 on a hardware kit. Looks like we discovered the cams may not be reusable. I am going to put it in the air, and try again. I was joking with LarrBeard at the parade about "assured clear distance". I have a solid appreciation for starting to stop way early. There is no such thing as a panic stop in this thing. A gradual reduction in speed defines my brakes!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-12-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    i just "bit the bullet" and spent $180 on a hardware kit. Looks like we discovered the cams may not be reusable. I am going to put it in the air, and try again. I was joking with larrbeard at the parade about "assured clear distance". A have a solid appreciation for starting to stop way early. There is no such thing as a panic stop in this thing. A gradual reduction in speed defines my brakes!
    same here... Scary

Waves and Honks ...

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    SURE GOT A LOT OF WAVES AND HORNS HONKING AS I DROVE AT 40 MILES A HOUR.......
    Get used to it. You are going to be a celebrity now. The first time an 18-wheeler drives up next to you and leans into the horn will just about make you jump out of your skivvies!

You're getting to the point you can enjoy it now - it's paying off!

It came Magoo now has a license plate and a title
    license plate.jpg