Page 26 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

lots of good ideas there.. have a HF radio (TWO EXTRA ICOM 706'S) that needs 12vdc, thinking of using the correct antenna mount, shell only and auto tuner (hidden) with a icom hf.THEN CAN BE WB6LNH WILLYS MOBILE).. darn am so close to fireing up the old girl,,, fuel pump, master cylinder, finalize brakes, bleed them, two 12volt batteries and jury rig ignition. getting anxious to hear it run. salvaged a good header pipe from one of the jeeps, in really good shape, might throw dmuffler on it and go for it soon SOON, will video the beast running on its own

FRONT BRAKE LINES
    FRONT BRAKE1.jpgFRONT BRAKES2.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 01-07-2018 at 08:26 PM.

i have two transfer cases, one that is set up for emergency brake with external brake shoes the other with internal brake shoes, is it possible to exchange them, do not have the complete emergency/parking brake that uses external shoes and is rather simple but am missing some pieces and parts. i have a complete transmission/transfer case withe the brake that has the internal shoes complete, just need new shoes, but it is on the other tansmission/transfer case combination. looking for a diagram of the whole thing and so far have not found it.

The following diagram is from Kaiser Willys;
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...cy-brake-m38a1

i have another translmission with transfer case that has the other kind of parking brake, can i convert the transfer case to put in the other park brake? seems to be one piece that allows tht to be done and that is in the diagramdiagram e brake.jpg12-1-hand brake and related parts exploded.jpgFig 34 Transfer Case.jpg

The first diagram, as you figured is the correct parking brake configuration for you A1. The two diagrams are for a civilian CJ 2A through 3B, with the cane handle in the dash. The big difference is the way the brake is actuated. The M38A1 pulls up towards the body to engage the brake. The civilian pulls the brake lever forward towards the transmission, through a push/pull cable that connects to the cane handle in the dash. Now you mentioned that you have one parking brake set up with external shoes. That has me thinking back if I've run across anything besides a John Deere two cylinder clutch that utilizes an external brake shoe.... I can't come up with any, because even the examples put out by Dodge, (M37) had internal shoes. I could be wrong, and often times are. The pictures below was of the 52 M38A1 that I had done all the body repairs to. When the body was still on the frame, you can see the parking brake handle, with the rod going down to the bottom of the brake assembly, attaching to the actuator with a clevis and pin. The actuator arm then travels upward, applying the brake shoes. Adjustment was made through shortening the length of the rod going to the actuator arm. To answer your question, yes the brake set up will fit on your transfer case, but no it will not work with the brake lever between the seats. If the external brake set up is much like the first drawing, I would figure out what I'm missing, and go for that. The CJ set would be way too much of a head ache, in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.

PROBABLY CORRECT, lots of pieces and parts to get. bought transmissions and 4wd set up apart from jeeps,, but now have two complete engines and transmissions with transfer cases. both cruddy on outside but clean sharp gears inside. got to collect parts for parking brake, until then guess its leave it in gear and get a brick

My 46 hasn't had a functional parking brake since I've had it. I've collected everything to rebuild the whole assemble, but have not done it. As long as the engine has compression, it stays where I left it.

Reverse holds it really well, and you don't forget to take it out of reverse....

KOOL, but still gonna find all the pieces and parts, all i have for the m38a1 is one rusty parking break handle

The parking brake handle is a good start, and probable the most expensive part. Check with these guys below. They keep a lot of used parts, and NOS replacement parts for Willys military Jeeps. I've purchased a lot from them, and have had no complaints. Their prices are reasonable also.

https://quartertonparts.com/product-category/brakes/