Page 105 of 252 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

If the section that is hard welded in is in good shape, leave it. Cut the original off straight, and section the new piece in. On the one I did, only the bottom 4 inches was rotten, so I cut them off at 5", then sectioned the donor piece to match. I cut the sheet metal to make room to weld the back side to make it strong. I'll add some photos in the A.M.

If you have piece parts that you want to strip the G.I. and verious other layers of blue metallic off, my tip for the day is to purchase some of the 80 grit nylon brushes that harbor freight sells for $4.00 a piece. I use these extensively on paint removal, especially on sheet metal. All it takes is time and a 3/8 drill. I have stripped the paint on my 2A, (all 6 layers) down to the bare metal. On average, I use four brushes per jeep body. The frame takes a couple, then the axles take one. The brushes even eat through all the body filler that was gobbed on the quarters and hood. In my opinion, I like the ease of clean up after you are done. The surface is ready to paint after you blow it off with compressed air, and wipe down with prepsol. I also like that you don't have the abrasive material showing up everyone you turn the body. Just my opinion.

When you get everything lined up, we'll set up a weekend and get it all welded up.

I believe your goal of driving in the Mullet and the Veteran's parade is realistic.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-02-2018 at 07:41 PM.

i JUST HAD TO SEE IF IT WOULD GO IN!!! (BOY THAT COULD BE A LOOSE RIBALD STATEMENT, BUT IN THIS CASE TALKING ABOUT THE BRACE PIECE) AND DARN IF IT DID NOT GO IN PRETTY GOOD. OI MEASURED PRETTY CAREFULLY AND HAD LEFT 1 1/4 INCH OF OLD BRACE IN THERE AND CUT OFF 1 1/4 OFF NEW AND LO AND BEHOLD IT IS GONNA WORK.... AM INSIDE NOW AND 3/4 WAY THRU FIRST MARTINI WITH TWO OLIVES STOLI VERY VERY DRY, JUST WHISPER VERMOUTH AT IT... MIGHT JUST HAVE ANOTHER

had to try1.jpghad to try2.jpg

Looks good! You deserve a second, absolutely!

ya know, and believe me am not blowin my olwn horn, but ifeel real good about what has been accomplished up to now. body is ready for sand blastand then prime, yeah some welding but wth i knew that was going to happen. then some artistry to make fenders flat. Rims and tires... seats, peripheral stuff like pioneer gear, but am delighted with the motor/frame situation, great running motor, probably will outlast me, then dughter has it. Real happy and yeah kinda proud of what has been done, but a lot of credit goes to this board also. a whole bunch of credit and everytime i open garage i see the get well card on the wall. that was a bad time, but its over.....

from the first time i got the engine out and looked at it and said "Oh My, are we in over our heads" but no, each obstacle was overcome, and the flow kept on going, one bolt at a time
    Last edited by pelago; 12-03-2018 at 02:58 AM.

Do you have a shovel for underneath the hood? I've got an extra one if you need it.

You have done well. You have adapted and overcame.

no shovel, got a axe and a gas can but no shovel... and talked to my sandblast guy and he said "hell, lets get on it, i want to see what you have done so far" wed morning off to the sandblast wizard of fire tower road.......getting trailor ready to haul the body....

The shovel is all yours.

You may want to purchase some weld through primer. Eastwood sells it, and it is a bit pricey, but one can will do the entire panel installation. The primer goes on the inside edges of the panels before they are spot welded. The MIG will burn through at the spot weld, and the primer seals around it to prevent rust in between the panels.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-self-etc...1-oz-aero.html

The shovel is the correct USA marked heat treated, but no brand stamp. I'll clean it up and prime it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-03-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Off to Sand Blast

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    no shovel, got a axe and a gas can but no shovel... and talked to my sandblast guy and he said "hell, lets get on it, i want to see what you have done so far" wed morning off to the sandblast wizard of fire tower road.......getting trailor ready to haul the body....
    You will get a real boost once you see the metal sandblasted and the rust and crud off of it. Then, once you get it primed - you will really start to believe that one day it WILL be a Jeep!
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh yeah... got the "tub" cut down a lot, all the decayed stuff that is going to be replaced is gone, but all the joints and seams are now exposed fir a good cleaning. Now did have a major disappointment today. the gas tank well came and is it ever torqued, no longer even close to being squared. was told that when i started clamping and tacking it in it will all lay flat and the torque is from stamping??? not sure i buy that, for example the tool box is superb not a bend or a wrinkle in it, but gas tank, well you judge for yourself001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg006.jpg006.jpg

I'm calling horse s**t. The fuel tank well was stamped, then the ends should have been spot welded together. It doesn't look like it is the right gauge of steel. Did it come from Kaiser's? I don't remember exactly where I bought the one I used, but it was correct right out of the box. You will be hard pressed to get it back into shape without applying a lot of heat. Then you will have to slowly reduce the heat as you clamp it in place. It will be a pain.