Page 112 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I feel your pain . . .

(left front on dash bolt to right rear corner, then right front dash bolt to the left rear). If the measurements are the same, then you are square. )
    got it

think need to back off for a while and wait till the floor section comes in, then work on fitting that and at same time do measurements . If i weld makes it twice as hard to fix. only thing in is the part where wheel well sits on cross member and then i have it bolted to side... can move the side part.... now tail section to come later but floor should be enough to get good measures. got lots of little dents to work on

went from corner to dash bolt 1" off,,, got some aligning to do

wonder if expanding on the frame idea?? final assembly and welding on a stripped down frame?? be a pain in the *** to lift off and on and lift off and on for fitting. there are central bolts on the cross over and pieces that lock it donw right off the cowl??
    Last edited by pelago; 12-21-2018 at 11:53 AM.

If you take your engine hoist and run a ratchet straps to both front body mounts,(at the firewall) center the strap at the seat location. Take another ratchet straps to the rear corners of the body. With your engine hoist, come in from the side, then hook into the straps. Adjust the straps till the body lifts evenly. I work by myself, so this was the only way for me to move the body. I probably moved the body a half a dozen times to the spare frame because I am just that way. The original frame was with the owner receiving it's restoration. It helps to not have the steering column installed, but not mandatory. The nice thing about the military Jeeps, the floor opening is large enough to allow the steering wheel to fit through.
    If you do try the spare frame idea, the main floor bolts are all you need to ensure everything is square. You can take longer bolts and run them from the bottom up, then double nut them so they stay put. Add a flat washer on top of the nuts to supply support to the body around the mounts. Use the bolts as guide studs, so then you don't have to crawl underneath to tighten the hardware.
    The cowl support bolts, and the rear panel mount bolts, just ensure that they are lined up.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-21-2018 at 10:00 PM.

got my work cut out for me, here is my plan
    1. separate spare frame from front and rear differentials (if i dont it is just too heavy and will have to find four tires to move it)
    2. move it put up on jackstands
    3. got to clean it some, not sandblast but clean it a bit
    4. extend my lift because due to garage will have to move lift in and out of garage from front
    5. drop body on the frame after long bolts and double nuted

damn, i forgot just how many body to frame bolts there are know the crossmember at junction of front floor and rear deck has two and more around floor section, front and oh hell just got to play with it to see. Since the back deck and a lot of rear is gone balance will have to be played with

Rig for Heavy Lift

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    balance will have to be played with
    Rig once, lift a little, check balance, rig again and repeat until things lift straight and don't spin. I learned a lot watching Bosun's Mates rig for heavy lifts on Ammunition Ships and Destroyer Tenders.

Check your straps for wear and cuts and don't get under it unless it is sable.

Last week I remembered a little of that when I had to make a heavy lift by myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8 pointer?? nice deer, i took a 8 pointer years ago, running shot at 100 yards, lever action 25 35 1894 made in 1907, have not hunted deer in quite a while, but would like to get one this week to have one in freezer

With the back deck missing, shorten up the strap to the front. All the weight is up front, so the strap needs to be short. Adjust the rear strap to level the load. There are none bolts total holding the body on. Two that go through the toe brace strap. Two in the passenger side floor board, (one at your feet, one in the toolbox). One bolt on the driver's side feet. Two bolts at the riser base, in front of the rear wheels. Two bolts through the floor crossmember, to the frame crossmember. Two bolts through the rear crossmember.
    Since you have the floor out, you can hook the straps closer to the riser. This will prevent undue stress on the rear quarters.

The deer here are the equivalent of a German Shepherd. The average Buck is around 150 lbs. Then the public land is over run with armed bubbas. I went several years ago, and will not go back. Went into the woods three hours before daylight, to set up my tree stand on the edge of a crater. Just as the sun came up, a group came stomping through, talking loudly. That was the occuring problem all day. That was enough for me. Too many folks sound hunt, so I thought it be best to hang it up. Plus a lot of folks hunt with dogs. I just don't like running down a deer.

MY former daughter in law came from a farming family and have extensive wood lots they let me hunt anytime i want and many times i would sit on edge of cornfield and wait for deer come out sunset time wise.. seen as many as twenty on one field, all does but knew that there was a buck nearby... once shot a 180lb dressed out doe in a cornfield 250 yards away and used my 1903a4 set up for zero at 300 yards using 168grain national match, but i used 150g sp with 46 gr 4064 and it held same zero as match and used that aimed a minute low at 250 and hit heart with first shot sitting. great rifle, won four gold medals with it in the national sniper team match. got a 1941USMC sniper zero at 600 yards set up and go down 11 minutes for 300, it has a unertyl 8 power, original rifle with new stock, the old one looked like it got ran over by a tank, still have it for collector value. rifle was built in 1942 at philadelphia naval armory and they selected a 1903 national match from 1929, and does it shoot. won the gold medal at the inaugural sniper single match with a perfect score and all X's. according to a reference book i have by brophy this serial number used during Pelileu, that is what the book said issue to 5th marines

Deer Story

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    8 pointer?? nice deer, i took a 8 pointer years ago, running shot at 100 yards, lever action 25 35 1894 made in 1907, have not hunted deer in quite a while, but would like to get one this week to have one in freezer

Easily an eight - one tip that might make him a nine.

No really big story to go with him. He walked out of the woods about 130 yards out, I said "Mehh" to him, he stopped and looked and I dropped him with a spine shot like he was a popped balloon. Really too high, but I didn't have to go looking for him in the cane brakes and cat-briers. I'm getting too old to go salvage deer out of the swamp. I hooked him up behind the four-wheeler, dragged him up to the old tractor and loaded him up.

He was a big deer for Tennessee. When they reintroduced deer into West Tennessee back in the early 1960's, they brought in deer from Texas and Michigan. Texas for heat and disease resistance, Michigan for size. This guy tended more toward the Michigan strain than the Texas strain - about 180 pounds.

At 180 pounds he was too big to lift even with the little hoist, so I tied the rope off to the four-wheeler, lifted him and then tied off the rope a second time so I could back underneath him.

Pretty much the end of the story.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this spare frame really being a sob, four hours to get one shackle off the springs and all i did was manage to break off one nut and did remove the other one but it wont budge used up a whole bottle of propane, heck with it am cutting it off and probably will cud the other shackles off also, they are shot anyway. dont want to make removing dead wt from frame a career