Page 122 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

" bfh in German. " BUT DO YOU REMEMBER IT?
    i think that the passenger side of the jeep will look like a pond after a rock thrown in, but we will see? and there is still professional help at a body shop for specific areas, maybe, maybe not, then again might give it character, could also put a couple bullet holes in it with the garand?

That is an option. Character bullet holes would be a good touch. Plus it might make you feel better. To pull some of the ripple out, you can heat the panel with a heat gun, then take a ziplock full of ice and rub the panel. This will cause the panel to shrink, reducing the ripple.

I do remember the German version. The great thing about German, saying hello sounds angry. grober Ve*****ter hammer.

The picture was of my father's M38. He found some bullet hole stickers that worked well on glass, but not so much on paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-22-2019 at 01:51 PM.

" you can heat the panel with a heat gun, then take a ziplock full of ice and rub the panel. This will cause the panel to shrink, reducing the ripple." whoaaaa a heat gun, would provide enough heat??

"Character bullet holes would be a good touch." maybe i should line them up with the ones in me, got more than a couple

A good heat gun will. Direct the heat to the valley of the ripple. You can also put ice water in a bucket, and use an old towel. When the metal is hot, wipe the towel over the valley. The metal will shrink. This is how most paintless dent repair shops fix hail dents.

Since you are still in bare metal, you can take a sanding disk, (paper backed) and flip it upside down in the DA sander. Run the back side on the metal to cause friction, but not remove material. Do this quickly, moving the grinder around, then let air cool. Watch the results, and apply more where needed.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-22-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    A good heat gun will. Direct the heat to the valley of the ripple. You can also put ice water in a bucket, and use an old towel. When the metal is hot, wipe the towel over the valley. The metal will shrink. This is how most paintless dent repair shops fix hail dents.

Since you are still in bare metal, you can take a sanding disk, (paper backed) and flip it upside down in the DA sander. Run the back side on the metal to cause friction, but not remove material. Do this quickly, moving the grinder around, then let air cool. Watch the results, and apply more where needed.
    will try both, or the side will look like a pond after a rock thrown in............................

A cone tip on the heat gun works to focus the heat in a small area.

the passenger side of the jeep almost done, doing finishing touches, over 100 spot welds needed to be done, wheel well, floor, repair panel and welding in the circular portion to hold the 24vdc connector, tons of welding to be ground down.

Forward progress!

Grinding On

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    " tons of welding to be ground down. ..."
    Take a word from having been there, done that and gotten hurt -

Get a good set of goggles, ones with side shields. When you are working down in close places, grit and spall bounce off things and find their way between simple safety glasses and your cheek - ending up in your eye.

An eye patch spoils your "outlook" for a long time.

As you well know, we're not bulletproof anymore!

"As you well know, we're not bulletproof anymore! " yeah, i know, but two years ago some yahoo tried to rob me at a atm and shot me in the hip, got pissed off and emptied the walther ppk in his chest.................
    got goggles