Page 134 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

heard a lot of good things about taladega, with the electronic targets, that is what is stopping me from competing is the back and forth from the pits by walking just plain old fatique. i need to come down there and shoot and then say Hey to Dennis at the store, and i sure do miss R Lee.. known each other for many many years..
    got to get insurance and a title and tires and 4 rims
    Last edited by pelago; 03-01-2019 at 10:12 PM.

R. Lee was a good man. I bought an autographed photo of the doughnut scene from Full Metal Jacket. I bought it off of his website, and at the bottom it asked for a phone number if the recipient of the autograph. I purchased the picture for my father, so I put down his number. The same day the picture arrived, R. Lee calls him and has an hour long or better conversation. My father was thrilled to talk about his days in the Marines.
    If you need any assistance if you do decide to run Talladega, I'll help you out.
    I still have the 16" civilian wheels if you need them.

R Lee a long time personal friend,, but every year i beat his *** with a M1

He did a spotlight on our Stryker MGS. He was in the Gunner's seat and touched off a round.... He didn't back his eye away from the sight, and was scoped. It didn't make the show, but a couple of butterfly Band-Aids, and he was fine. The 105MM has quite a kick.

MANAGED TO GET MY CLUTCH LINKAGE MESSED UP When put the body one it depressed the clutch pedal so much that the spring is tight and can not move anything, got to get underneath and relax the linkage to see what is happening. got to loosen up the actual cable and screw at the attachment point, daXX

Sounds like the clutch arm is caught on the body. If everything was in spec before the body was installed, the you will probably need to raise the front if the body to find where the clutch is hung.

That is just what the problem was, and when i looked up at the whole thing from underneath and since the undercoat was black and i was looking up and sun was high it was like looking into the black hole of calcutta.... when i got a light down there the arm was in fact hanging up on the little clip that is on the front of the mount. almost like the body was 1/8" off to the left. however all the holes just lined up but that one clip cockeyed to the left. but all else is good? Heck i ground off a little bit of the piece sticking out and freed it up.

Was actually able to drive it a bit, back and forth in driveway. clutch seems good, brakes seem to need some adj at the master cylinder have no play at all and the brakes engage at the touch of the pedal. since i had no idea where to adjust the master cyl arm that makes sense. time to get under neath again and adju master cyl arm relax it some so i have maybe a little play in pedal before it engages cylinder??

one funny thing happened. was so much in joy driving it sitting on a milk crate that once when backing up i pulled the wheel while my head turned around and pulled the darned wheel right off, no wheel, a little panic then but pushed clutch in and hit brakes and all was good. once i get a seat and am actually sitting wher i can reach it all will drive around the block.
    But actually have a good clutch ( i think) and will have good brakes (I think)

Now to comply with the DMV and move forward to getting a title, law enforcment with the state have to come and look at it (again) and i do now have a surety bond for 15k that cost me 225.00 there is no reason not to issue a title. but for whatever reason the title will be "inoperative" thems the rules and rules have to be followed whether you like them or not.
    But and this is a good thing i do not have to have a safety inspection jeep too old

not part of original set up but maybe a lap seat belt. comments on that?? not required but wth dont want my large butt to fall out
    Last edited by pelago; 03-04-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Glad it worked out for you.

I like to set the brakes free play at a 1/2" to 3/4". As long as the rod isn't applying pressure to the master cylinder, and essentially dragging the brake, you'll be fine. The clutch I like to have 1" of free pedal at clutch engagement . Then check to ensure that the clutch is fully disengaged with the pedal at the floor, but not too much to where the clutch can go over center and hang up. The free pedal adjustment usually gets you where you want to be.

If you have a surplus store around, see if they have some bomber style lap belts. They will be green, and look like they belong in the Jeep. If not, Ebay has several to choose from with the mounting hardware and floor plates.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-ROD-PAI...-/282812770540

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Vinta...IRKZ:rk:8:pf:0

great information, got the clutch at that point, when clutch disengaged I was able to check the cable and there is some play in it when disengaged so the throwout bearing is totally out of play and when clutch engaged i have full throwout bearing in play. clutch is good.
    Now to get into the master cylinder adj, not a lot of room for this but will be able to send it some and get play in the pedal, have not done so but feel it is there. feel seat belts might be important, and the cost of falling out over a few dollars is not that bad

isnt there supposed to be a arm that keeps hood open, can not locate it on any manual

drat, can't sleep so said wth got up and it is 5am and daXn if it aint snowing out, probably wont amount to much, but kinda hard to get under jeep and adj master cylinder in the snow
    Last edited by pelago; 03-05-2019 at 05:07 AM.