Page 135 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

damn, but it has been cold, may have a lead on some rims, workin on it. cleaning out garage so i can get this thing in where i can at least get some heat going. this morning (now i know some of you guys live up north so dont laugh, i used to live up there also and know how cold it can get) it is 26 degrees out and that is just too cold for my sorry butt to be out under the jeep

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/lower-w...-71-cj-5-m38a1

wow 4 bucks each and need ten???
    Last edited by pelago; 03-07-2019 at 09:43 AM.

I don't blame you for staying warm. You've done your time sloshing around and being out in the elements. The temps are on the way back up, so you'll be back up and running in no time. Stay up off the floor until the concrete warms up. Cold concrete will make your bones hurt.

It hasn't been that long ago that I lived in the far north tundra, where it would get down to -40. I didn't mind it, and would survive if found myself there again. I don't mind the 27 above we've had here the past few mornings. We have been out the last few mornings sorting out the condition of the latest batch of power packs to set our schedules at 04:00 to make the 06:00 meeting. Our forklift operator looked like an Eskimo with a couple of coats and a scarf.

Pelago try this web site where I get all my bolts www.boltdepot.com, you could probably get all 10 for $4.00 in stainless

NEED 5/16 x 24 THEY DONT HAVE IT, DARN

How long are they?
    Do you mind if they are Hex Drive head?
    Try this web site www.mcmaster.com/standard-flat-head-screws
    They don't have Phillips head but they do have Hex Drive head 316 Stainless 5/16-24 x 1/2" for $5.50 for 10 each
    If you do decide to go with stainless a FYI USE never seeze or some type of anti-seeze or you will never get them back out, take my word I have learned the hard way, I have had to cut the bolts in half to get them back out.....
    Last edited by TJones; 03-07-2019 at 07:43 PM.

BODY PUTTY...
    Went to some of the local body shops and asked them what did they use for putty and three recommended
    this $50.00 plus tax

putty5.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 03-08-2019 at 03:41 PM.

REMEMBERING THAT I HAVE ZERO SKILLS IN THIS. I have watched these guys take a dollap of putty and lay a 3/16" thickness of this stuff as pretty as can be, all level and looks like it could just be painted then and there. Me, no way but sm fudding my way thru this

putty1.jpgputty2.jpgputty3.jpgputty4.jpgputty.jpg

Looks like you are getting the mixture about right. Make sure you knead the filler first to break up any air bubbles first, then add the hardener. This will buy you a bit of time since the air is already worked out. Apply it as even as you can, so then you don't have peaks and valleys that you have to sand through or depressions to fill. Another thing to remember is don't make up too much at once.

Go to Harbor Freight and get a 17" hand sander. This will help you keep a straight panel when sanding. Small sanders will leave waves in the material.

https://www.harborfreight.com/17-inc...nder-1727.html

Sand in a 45degree angle, starting at the top of the panel, and continue downward until you run off the panel. Using this method works well on your A1 because the sides are flat. Starting at the top and working through the material will give you any evidence of low spots, by leaving paint or filler behind....(you can add a light dusting of spray paint to act as a guide coat) Where the spray paint came off during sanding is level, where the paint remained is low.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-08-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Body work is a fine art. It is the one process that either have a good day at it or everything turns to crap. Humidity and other environmental will screw with the filler as in how long it takes to cure. The 3M stuff is good, and it isn't much more expensive than the pink Bondo. Take your time, and you'll be alright!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Body work is a fine art. It is the one process that either have a good day at it or everything turns to crap. Humidity and other environmental will screw with the filler as in how long it takes to cure. The 3M stuff is good, and it isn't much more expensive than the pink Bondo. Take your time, and you'll be alright!

Doing it in a heated garage, turned heat on at 6am so humidity went down the dumper, so far so good, i think got one of the sanders and making a lot of dust with it