Page 144 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Fuel Filter

"If you make your lines, then you can put the filter anywhere you wish."

In the very best of conditions, Jeeps that sit get condensation in fuel tanks and there are gremlins that add a half-teaspoon of crud to every tank of fuel we put in the vehicle.

I second the filter idea and for my 2-cents, put it on the input (tank) side of the fuel pump. That keeps crud out of the pump. I wasn't watching everything on the rebuild of the '48 and the filter on it is between the pump and carburetor. Yeah, that keeps crud out of the carb, but I'd rather catch it earlier than that.

It's April Fool's Day and we have the better part of an inch of snow on the ground in NE Indiana. Harumph .....

sort of new topic..
    got two shiney brand new rings to go around headlamps, however they are chromed, paint em?? sand and paint primer then paint? or put on shiney?

Prep, sand, prime, and paint to match the body. It would look like a Philippine Jeepney with chrome rings.

To add to what LarrBeard was talking about, it is true to put the filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. The best thing to do is to Redkote the fuel tank, then you don't have to worry about rust forming within the fuel tank. When you purchase non ethenol fuel, then the amount of moisture pulled from the air is greatly reduced. If you can not find non-ethenol fuel, then you can purchase an aditive to block or reduce the damage caused by the alcohol content. Ethenol will also eat the aluminum within the carb and fuel filter.

sanding and painting as we type, redkote gonna look into this..

got 4" stencils, gonna have USMC 2079603 ON IT!! That number was given to a 18yr old kid who was standing tall in front of a desk and this old sgt said "son this is your service number dont ever forget it" i haven't.......
    Last edited by pelago; 04-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Good deal. Redkote is great stuff, even on a brand new tank. It will keep you from having trouble down the road. I used the Redkote on a crusty M151A2 tank, after using aquarium gravel to polish up the inside. It takes some time to ensure that the inside is covered completely. Once dry, the coating is hard and durable.

The M38A1 that I had done the body work on, he chose to use his service number as well. I couldn't talk him out of using yellow stickers for the numbers. Stencils would have looked much better in my opinion.

The Number

587 87 27 "sir"!

Thanks for your service boy's! I am reading with great interest how LarrBeard put a filter on the suction side of the pump. I remember being taught long ago that a mechanical fuel pump may not have enough suction to pull fuel through a filter. I have read on a few occasions and, seen filters on the suction side of a mechanical pump. It appears as if it works just fine for LarrBeard. Another youthful lesson shattered! There are some low resistance metal screen filters out there. I have been contemplating putting a filter there.

Thanks for the tip on the Red-kote http://damonq.com/red-kote.html ! pelago, very cool watching (well reading) while you go totally through that Willys!

Fuel Pump Location

" LarrBeard put a filter on the suction side of the pump. "

As my wife reminds me, I didn't make myself totally clear. My filter is on the discharge side of the pump so any crud in the tank gets a ride through the pump before it gets trapped. And, I learned something here as well. I never thought of a pump not having enough suction to pull fuel through a filter - especially if it loads up a bit. I remember the glass bowl filters that mounted right at the pump, but I don't remember which side they were on .

With as much discharge pressure as the new pumps generate, I figured they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose....

I put my filters on between the fuel tank and the pump, to prevent crud from entering the fuel pump. In a new system, to include a new fuel tank, it is wherever you want to put one, or not at all. With the grenade size filler neck of the M38A1, even if you have the filler neck screen installed, there is an added chance of introducing trash when filling up. If a jerry can is used to fill, then your chances of introducing crap is even higher, because unless you have arms of an ape, you will get tired of holding the can while filling, unless you remove the screen to allow the spout to rest on the neck.

What are you using for filters gmwillys? I wonder if the little Go Devil gets by on a lot less fuel than the pump can supply. It is quite possible a little restriction on the suction side isn't enough to starve the motor.

I wonder if something like this would do it. There can't be a lot of restriction through the stainless. There are a lot of varieties using the stainless mesh.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-55242/overview/