Page 147 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

NEW TOPIC, GOT MOST OF THE WIRING LABELED AND READY TO PUT IN BUT FOR!!!!
    15, i have two leads that are 15, both ohm out to correct pins on plug?? wth?? this provides 24vdc to main switch for lights and a lot

Your wiring diagram will get "dog eared" here for sure!

OK, found the info I was looking for. One 15 powers the light switch as you stated. I don't see another listing for a second circuit 15. I was thinking that it may have been an auxiliary circuit, but that should be circuit 39 if it were.

Here is the TM manual that I found the information;

http://www.pedros.cz/M38A1/TM9-8014.pdf

Circuit 15 Generator regulator C terminal to light switch F terminal. Page 214 - 215
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.

*%@^%$$#@!$%^&**&^&ROTTEN LOUSY MISERABLE M,,,,,F...G GREMLINS BACK... Motor has run as sweet as can be drove it around block many times, pulled into garage idle steady, just sounded fandamntastic. then picked up a Air line hose/connector for carb to air cleaner and cleaned it up and put it on, started motor last evening to just hear if it sounded a bit more quiet without hearing carb sucking air and it did and again sounded great.. This am went to start and it did not want to start?? then got it going and darned gremlins back

Gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    ROTTEN LOUSY MISERABLE GREMLINS BACK...
    Yeah, it's spring and they come out of hibernation like woodchucks. I think I just solved one yesterday, but like you I am not going to claim it for a bit.

A historical note that a lot of our younger folks probably won't understand:

In Warner Bros cartoons, Bugs Bunny always won - except in one 'toon. Bugs was a pilot test flying an airplane during WWII when the Gremlin showed up. He chased the Gremlin all over the place, but in the end the Gremlin got the best of Bugs - Bugs put on his 'chute and let the Gremlin have the airplane.

But - no stinkin' Gremlin is gonna beat me over MY Jeep!

You're gonna find it - hang in there.

SOME NOTES ON GREMLINS
    I removed all the plugs and set up the timing light to just see where it showed timing with engine in the off position, not running: to see where timing marks showed. The timing in this situation could not have been more perfect.

REPLACED WITH NEW
    plugs, wires, coil, points, condenser, rotor and new cap.
    visually and mechanically checked union (physical) between distributor and oil pump. very very minimum wear on gear on both pump and distributor, negligible wear, can still see machine marks from milling gears in pump, end or distributor ever so ever minimum wear, the two fit right and tight

symptom: starts, but does not run smooth, timing dancing with light, absolutely can not rev up with carb. I for one can not see how the carb, (which had been rebuilt) can have any effect, the engine ran great for a total of maybe two hours, drove it around the block, seemed to have a lot of get up and go, although i did not (make it get up and go), but it was there if i needed to, took it to maybe 25mph for three runs around block. stopped and started several times to go through the gears, no issues other than the thing drove like a tank that had too many martinis due to four tires of unequal size (fixable with tires, rims and alignment)

WTF!!!

what i need is some old master sgt with cigar butt half chewed unlit stuck in corner of mouth with Korean war vintage soft cap on with bill rolled up and oil up to elbows to open hood and wave magic hands over it and shut hood and say "fixed"

one way to fix.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 04-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.

In my 70plus years i have experienced this two times and each culprit was the dist cap, had a hairline crack in it and the motor just ran like crap. the cap and rotor was replaced on this after motor (partially)rebuilt last year. oil pressure is great and compression as it is in the maint manual. would a faulty condenser make this like this? only two possibilities i see is cap, rotor and condenser one of the three bad? Since spark is a function of mechanical action and high voltage delivered by coil. and with motor off (no plugs in motor) with starter only timing is directly as described in maint manual....

however in this test the motor off and no real revs??

Change the Condenser!!!

You asked ..."would a faulty condenser make this like this?" .

It sounds a lot like the '48 was acting during the time of troubles - the Gremlins had set up camp in it.

Change the dern condenser - it's just about the easiest and cheapest part to replace. 24-volt condensers are the same as 6/12-volt condensers, about .22uF, 450-volts or so. Don't be surprised if you find a bad ground tab or loose ground screw, etc.

We found a guy kind of like that old motor pool Sgt you're looking for to help us fix things. He said "Change the condenser". We said, "But it's a new distributor and everything". Being an old motor pool Sgt type of guy he replied "Do you want to argue or do you want the D%#m Thing to run?"

We replaced the condenser and it's run perfectly every since.

Until you get it to run for a while - trust nothing, they're ALL out to get you>

Good Luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The condenser is just a capacitor. It charges as the points break and prevents arching. If you have condenser trouble the points should look like they have been arching. That can cause a lot of headaches. Moisture can be a culprit on an old condenser. You stated you replaced it. Mean little Gremlin.

Everything you describe sure seems to point to the mechanical advance malfunctioning. Especially the "peppy" motor. If it is locking up in an advanced mode, with today's gasoline octane and the 6.75 to 1 compression, it would run pretty good with some advance locked in. I wouldn't expect any knock. The timing hopping around should fall within the range of the distributors advance curve. The advance should start at 425 rpm. it should run up to 10 to 12 degrees at 1950 rpm per the specs. That should be a total of 15 to 17 degrees at 1950 rpm.

What happens to the timing as you rev it? I wonder if it is advancing smoothly and, giving the full advance.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-13-2019 at 08:47 AM.

One other thought. Have you put a vacuum gauge on it while its acting up?