Page 15 of 252 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Ah yes, C4, just about as useful as duct tape.

There was this one guy using a tab of C4 to warm a canteen cup. Of course it stunk (stank?). Sgt said "Put that stuff out". Soldier stomped it to put it out. Bad move.

Carry on. We're rootin' for you!

damn this is one of the front hubs, think?? maybe a shoe is hung up and causing problems

there is this??
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-fro...86-jeep-willys just not sure how to use it, no way can get that lip under hub edge???

if i use this thing i will have to replace every cock eyed gasket in the whole front end that gets pricey???
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...nnecting-parts
    Last edited by pelago; 10-17-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Before and after TOOK FOREVER TO LOOSEN THE TIE ROD ENDS, WHEN LOOSE AND CLEANED THEY SEEMED QUITE GOOD AND TIGHT, ORDERED NEW RUBBER CUPS FOR THE BALL JOINTS
    BEFORE.jpg100_0993.jpgAFTER1.jpgAFTER2.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 10-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.

HELP!!!!
    Who knows how to let the smoke out of wheel cylinders, since in between funding for parts and pieces decided to pull one brake cylinder out and take a look. HOW IN THE HELL DO THEY COME APART!! GOT THE BLOW UP OF A CYLINDER BUT HOW DOES IT COME APART TO LET SMOKE OUT. In reality i think that they are toast, but who knowswheel cylinder.jpg

Pop the boots off of one end and just poke things out the other end.

If things won't poke, its probably full of dried up smoke.

Put the wheel cylinder in a vise, get a dowel or whatever and apply a hammer. The two pistons, cups and a spring should come out the other end. If things aren't too corroded, just clean it up and go. Otherwise - new cylinders...

Hopefully they are just full of dried up gummy hydraulic gunk.....

SCORE, GORPED UP WHEEL CYLINDER 1, ME 0. TORE UP A PERFECTLY GOOD SOCKET, GOT THE DAMN THING TO MOVE, BUT ONLY 1/2" EITHER WAY. This one pretty well shot, but am gonna get it apart so that the next one might be easier. got a total of eight (now seven) that i can beat to death.. might just be instead of 10.00 x 4 it will be 30.00 times four. Wonder if i could go to a machine shop and see if they could move them with a hydraulic press????? might be worth a call???
    Last edited by pelago; 10-22-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Typically, it is worth it to purchase new wheel cylinders. The best bet is to purchase American made replacement wheel cylinders, (Wagner)but the china made cylinders work also. The china made cylinders are alright, but 9 times out of 10, the mounting holes, and the bleeder do not match up with the backer plate. The original wheel cylinders are usually a pain, because with jeep not being in service, moisture settles in the wheel cylinders. Rust envelopes the pistons, and make it near impossible to get them to come apart. If you do manage to get them apart, then you need to run a cylinder hone through, to remove any imperfections. Most of the time, the bores are too far gone to hone all the scratches out. The bores will become oversized, and then difficult to seal. I have seen oversized seal kits in the past, but have not looked for them for a long time. A machine shop can sleeve the wheel cylinder, then bore it to stock size, but it will cost more than a good replacement.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-23-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Concur - but a guy has to try just to see what's going on.

Making sure a Jeep stops is really just as important as making it runin the first place.

You are both absolutely correct, just galls me that i can not fix the damn things