Page 152 of 252 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Air Cooled Distributor

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    DONE!! VACUUM FROM PVC SIDE, TO BOTTOM OF DISTRIBUTOR, THEN IT PULLS AIR FROM THE TOP OF DISTRIBUTOR TO THE AIR CLEANER.
    Ira, you are running a really great school here. I never would have thought about needing to run cooling air through that distributor housing, but once GMWillys described it - it makes perfect sense! I wonder how many guys have burned up coils because they didn't know they needed those vacuum lines?

DUNNO. However there are two ports in the distributor and since it does not use a diaphragm for any kind of vacuum advance they were there for a reason.. and then when i found out their is a resistor in the coil and coil could get hot in enclosed distributor, makes sense. so routed with tube and rubber tubing with enough swing room for timing, original military had a lot of air going thru it, but since i dont have periscope on the A1 well goes to reason air flow, 15.00 dollars in tubing, hose and clamps. have a full inch or rotation left and right

M38A1 Extra Wire # 15

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    now i can get back to the puzzle factory of the lights

You’ve got several of us looking for extra wire #15’s for you.

Here is a sketch I took from TM9-8014 which covers the M38A1 and the M-170 ambulance. Now, it’s an Air Force manual and there is evidence that all M38A1’s were not the same depending on the contracting service.

But – it looks like wire #15 is a “hot” line to the light switch, which is a junction for everything. # 15 is a branch from #10 through what looks like a 2 0r 3 wire Douglas connector. #11 off the same connector looks like “hot” to the ignition switch and # 25 is a “hot” to the horn.

If your wire turns out to be a second # 15, I’d just treat it as spare “hot” battery connection – tape it up and use it if you need another 24-volt source sometime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    You’ve got several of us looking for extra wire #15’s for you.

Here is a sketch I took from TM9-8014 which covers the M38A1 and the M-170 ambulance. Now, it’s an Air Force manual and there is evidence that all M38A1’s were not the same depending on the contracting service.

But – it looks like wire #15 is a “hot” line to the light switch, which is a junction for everything. # 15 is a branch from #10 through what looks like a 2 0r 3 wire Douglas connector. #11 off the same connector looks like “hot” to the ignition switch and # 25 is a “hot” to the horn.

If your wire turns out to be a second # 15, I’d just treat it as spare “hot” battery connection – tape it up and use it if you need another 24-volt source sometime.
    that is just what i am having issues with, somehow, someonein the past whatever years didled with this wiring, am going to create the path to horn, ignition switch and lights have a douglas connector have not found a wire labelee 11,??? so will make one this should help

We see wiring butchery all the time. The comms cables usually have pig tails wired in for the soldiers walk man's, so they can have tunes while they ride. Before air conditioning was added to the vehicles, the troops in Iraq would order window units to stick through the side escape hatch to get a little relief while being stationed on watch. The air conditioning was added to the vehicles from the factory not to keep the soldiers cool, but to keep the computers cool.

I thought I found an explanation on the extra 15 wire, but in further examination, it turned out to be a smudged 85. The 85 goes to a hand held light on a M170. No dice.

just going to have to get creative, i repaired and identified what i could, and will have to create number 11. which jumps to igntion, oh well, knew it was going to be interesting. what surprised me was being able to hole a piece of typing paper with the vacuum.. have no idea the volume in the distributor, but that should pull in plenty of cooler air around it. take away the coil dimension and plate with its stuff and cap not much volume left, but got plenty air now

Use the extra #15 as #11, they come from the same source

GOT A BIT OF A BRAIN TEASER?? WHAT JEEP DOES THIS LIGHT GO ON?? two years ago i bought some stuff from a salvage yard in wilmington, and this was supposed to be passenger side tail light and it is obvious it is not 2nd is what i have other one out of catalog??

tail light2.jpg
    TAIL LIGHT.jpg

The one in the box looks to be a grill light for an M37 Dodge, or the tail light with the wrong lens installed. The one in the top photo looks more like a marker, because there isn't enough surface area for the regular brake light.

i lost my best friend tody, he snuck out thru grage and got hit by a carmoxter2.jpg