Page 161 of 252 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Time heals some wounds, but others last a lifetime. Thank you for sharing!

A handsome lad for sure! Wow.... it is tough I'll bet to... think about that time. I hope there are things about it that bring a smile to you.

Awesome reminder of history in those photo's.

Please never forget, there are many lives that you saved that you don't even know about. Those of us that were waiting for our draft number to come up for instance. I was scared beyond belief. The word we heard was not good. The news was horrific. If you boy's weren't so fierce, you can bet that thing would have went on even longer. Me and many more would have went. The fact you were there and fought so bravely, kept the crazy world in check somehow. No mater what was going on, the US military would fight. And fight well.

I have to know, is that an M1 carbine in .30 cal? It looks like my dad's favorite rifle from Korea, his M1 carbine.

M14 in both photos, and the short guy next to me is a Montygard tribal chief, great warrior, first tour M14 subsequent ones m16 and 45 cal

since i am a member of the north carolina team i have a m14. and two m1a's one configured as a sniper with tactical scope sighted in at 800 yards and it holds 3" at 600... memories, someone needs to ask about the time i blew up a shitter

pistolDSC_1012(3).jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 06-11-2019 at 07:12 PM.

OK - the rumor mill said that you get to bring "Sir Mac McLintock the 1st from Hubert NC" home today.

We want to see pictures of our sorta' adopted Grand Dawg! You have to share.

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    M14 in both photos, and the short guy next to me is a Montygard tribal chief, great warrior, first tour M14 subsequent ones m16 and 45 cal

since i am a member of the north carolina team i have a m14. and two m1a's one configured as a sniper with tactical scope sighted in at 800 yards and it holds 3" at 600... memories, someone needs to ask about the time i blew up a shitter

pistolDSC_1012(3).jpg
    pelago, do you shoot at Camp Perry? I used to go every year. I was bummed out when they moved High Power to Indiana! I shot M1 Garand at 14 years old in the CP. The gun was heavier than me! No M1 thumb on this boy however! I could hit the target at 600 yards. We will leave it at that.

do you shoot at Camp Perry?
    25 YEARS IN COMPETITION, WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO WIN THE GARAND MATCH IN 2008

" ... No M1 thumb on this boy however!... "

Well, I've managed to give myself an M1 thumb on both hands. I was looking at an ejection problem with a rifle out of the stock and upside down. I reached over with my left hand to pick it up and the M1BearTrap slammed on my left thumb! It's awkward to get it opened with the action upside down.

I think I had to go change underwear.

I'm a little short stubby guy and the M1 fits me better that the M1A. I don't like to hold the M1A by the magazine resting on my left hand and I'm too short to comfortably reach around to the front of the magazine. Last year was the only year I'd missed Camp Perry since 1998. I was there the year they airlifted Pelago off to the hospital. If I remember correctly, he didn't get shot - some old shrapnel worked its way out and scared the Medics to death.

And, even as a Hoosier, I like Camp Perry better than Camp Atterbury - it's 45 minutes closer to go to Port Clinton and a nicer drive.

But - over the last two years the CMP has put together a really nice program for High Power Shooters with the CMP Cup and CMP Games Matches.

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...df?vers=090818

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...df?vers=061419

Arthur Rightus has me really hurting right now and I'm not sure if I will go over this year or not.

I am High Power Director for my local club and one of "my" High Power Shooters won the Garand Match last year and set a new National record.

I dearly love the sweet smell of burned H 4895 on the spring breeze ... IMR 4064 is pretty nice too.

(It doesn't take much to get us off the track does it?)

Garand Match Results

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    do you shoot at Camp Perry?
    25 YEARS IN COMPETITION, WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO WIN THE GARAND MATCH IN 2008
    Folks, this guy is not telling a Sea Story it's the real thing. In 2008 he was indeed #1 in the Senior (over 65) Garand competition (99-2X, 99-3X, 91-2X; 289-7X Aggregate).

In the overall Garand Match (1179 shooters) he was # 3; 4 points behind a guy 30 years younger than him.. He beat several guys who are currently shooting at National Champion levels.

Oh yeah, I finished only 980 places behind him ...

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...lts&match=3426

Oh my... I had no idea! If you like the smell of H4895 then you need to be around when I light off my .338 Lapua! 92 grains of H1000 under a 270 grn Hornady XLD. Big smoke and bang. It will ring a 24 inch gong 2 miles away! (I have seen it, I have not done it, yet)

Wow are we off track. You guys are shooters! Some serious credentials there guy's! I have no doubt seen you both at Camp Perry. It is a small world.

I only shot the Garand shoot a couple of times in the early 1970's. If I remember correctly, they had just started the program. I did qualify. I weighed about 130 pounds soaking wet. That big 30 ought six kicked me like a mule. So glad it was an automatic. I was lucky enough to have a friend whose dad was a bench rest-er. He made his own rifles. Big heavy 30-06 Springfield actions and Mauser M98's. He bought the M1 through the CMP program and entered me in the civilian shoot! I think he thought I had natural talent. Now I am sure I looked hilarious and he wanted a good laugh.

And pelago now I know who you are! I always look forward to my Rifleman mag reporting on The shoots. I know I had to read your name in 2008. I am going to my back issues now. 91 and 1 STANDING with an M1 Garand! are you kidding me!!! I can think of very few young men who can hold a loaded M1 at shoulder long enough to do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-14-2019 at 05:55 PM.

I'm sure glad Pelagro is on our side. He is right up there with Carlos Hathcock in ability , and I bet if he would write the book he was talking about, it would be a best seller. The shitter story is a great one!

If anyone ever makes it to the CMP store in Anniston, or the new range at Talladega, look me up. I haven't had a chance to visit the range since it opened.