Page 177 of 252 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The A1 had 11" brakes, to where the earlier heeps had 9" brakes. With that being said, I would have to look up to see if there is a different part number for the adjusters.

Hopefully the hurricane will turn hard right before coming up your way.

The "new" cam hardly has any offset. I'll bet gmwillys is right. Looks like its for a bigger brake.

I did come up with a way to adjust my brakes that worked really well. I found that the the lower adjuster moves the shoe up and down. The upper adjuster moves the shoe in and out. If you don't start at the top, the shoe wont set in the drum quite right. Sometimes the lower adjuster will not seem to bring the shoe in contact with the drum. If you start at the top then move to the bottom then back to the top a few times, the shoe settles right in. I was able to get mine just right. My brother also made me a 1/4 " 3/16" custom wrench to turn the adjusters, and a custom wrench for the front lower lock nuts, hiding behind the lower king pin bearing.

I started at the top shoe adjuster. I rotated it until the brake grabbed the wheel slightly. I then went to the bottom and turned it until the wheel came loose. Then back to the top till it dragged the wheel. Then back to the bottom till it came loose... a few times. After a few adjustment rotations, the lower adjuster will no longer "free" the wheel. At that time I go back to the top and back it off just enough to clear.

If your brake drums have a slot for a feeler gauge, this is all done when you position the lower shoe .002" from the drum. I have new drums and consequently, no slots for the gauge. The method I used however really worked great. I can slide the wheels in the stones. I no longer carry an anchor to throw out.

Upper and lower adjuster?? Where are they? Two photos, one of drivers side rear and the other passengers side, drivers side has holes where the cam adj goes??
    drivers sidw rear.jpgPASSENGER SIDE REAR.jpg

The adjusters are the cams. I was just calling the cams adjusters. The upper cam is the one you have the vice grip on. The lower is the bronze cam that is inserted in the bottom of the shoe.

In the CJ service manual, they refer to the bottom cams/pins as the "Anchor pins". The lowers move the shoe up and down. The uppers move the shoe in and out. I had to work back and forth a few times before the shoe settled in. Then it was easy to get the feel. If you start with the bottom or anchor pin, it may not do anything. Mine just spun around and did nothing until, I adjusted the top first. Then moving the bottom would free up the wheel. Going back to the top I could turn the cam some more and stop the wheel, and lock it there. I would then go back and turn the lower and the wheel would free up. Back to the top and lock it down again. Eventually I got to the point where I could no longer free up the wheel with the lower. At that point all worked great. Hopefully I am making sense of what I did. I was able to get a good brake this way.

there is nothing like that in the service manual for the m38a1????

I took a couple of pictures from the Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles. The service manual specifically talks about the CJ2A and CJ3A Jeeps using adjustble "Anchor Pins". I think the M38 does not have the lower adjustable "Anchor Pins". I think you are supposed to have a brake set up similar to the CJ-3B. In that case you only have the eccentrics.

Here is a discussion from the G503 forum about the same thing. https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=131184

It seems you need to get the shoe in the middle with the adjustable bottom anchor pin. I think you have the CJ-3B "Cam Style" without adjustable Anchor Pins, the only adjustment is the eccentrics. I have attached a picture from the service manual on that style also.

From your pictures it seems you have the wrong or, improperly manufactured eccentrics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.

the wrong or, improperly manufactured eccentrics.

YES. THE CAM WILL NOT EVEN TOUCH THE BRAKE SHOES, AND THERE IS NO BOTTOM ADJUST

PASSENGER SIDE REAR.jpg

THAT PHOTO SHOWS THE ADJUSTERS OR ECCENTRICKS AT THE MAX ABILITY, THEY JUST DON HAVE ENOUGH LOBE TO EVEN TOUCH THE SHOES. EVERYTHING IS NEW

The posting by vintage Jeeps will have enough offset on the eccentrics.

Looked at that and yes they looked that way. What i did was remove the eccentrics (new) and took old ones and filed the top so that a 6mm wrench fits on it good, and re installed them and used a 9/16 wrench to unlock and was able to adjust. The eccentrics engage the shoes now. Problem seemed to be that the adjust end was so boogered up by vice grips that a wrench just did not fie, now a 6mm fits on all the old eccentrics and the cam lobe is 3/16 more than the new ones

ECCENTRIC FOR WHEEL.jpg