Page 18 of 252 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Looks good. I like the idea of the white coating for inside the bell housing.

actually that is baked on rustoleum many hours in oven at 250.00.. got real hard. thought it might help in seeing what is going on inside. thanks

Well done. Hopefully you won't have to utilize the white coating to help trouble shoot, but if you ever have to, you will be able to see what's going on within the bell housing.

STUPID QUESTION NUMBER 43.....
    U joints,, what holds them?? all i see is "U" bolts, never ever saw a bolt holding a U joint in? always a machined forging with two bolt holes. someone out there knows but i sure dont??????

When i put this in the frame i will free up my little scrap built dolly and will take the other motor out and put on dolly and be able to rebuild it from crank on up.. rebuilding these old motors fun,,, rebuilt a 35 ford V8, 1932 Graham Paige straight six with supercharger, 49 ford V8, 34 Chrysler coupe with straight 8 and a 1946 Ford convertable V8.. those old motors are tough
    Last edited by pelago; 11-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.

I don't believe you've asked a dumb question yet. With 60hp, and 105 lbs. ft. of torque, the U joints are safe with the U bolts. The yokes with the block style, (cast keeper with two through bolts) are stronger, but A lot of modern vehicles utilize the same set up as the Jeeps. The U bolts are remarkably sturdy, when they remain tight. The nuts being on the back side of the yoke, tends to protect them from being damaged by road or trail hazards.

I have a love affair with most all engines. The vintage engines are the most interesting to me. Babbitt bearings is a lost art. Cutting and measuring shim stock for setting the clearances of rods and mains is another. Ford flat heads are an engineering marvel. They produce a sound that is like no other. The supercharged six and straight eights are another favorite. The engineering that went into making it all live together, (with a slide rule instead of computer) is amazing. We don't have the same caliber of bright individuals, coming up with these designs. If the electricity were to ever stop flowing, we wouldn't be able to engineer anything.

Oooohhhhh ... pretty.

my 35 ford pick up, (bought from a farmer in door county wisconsin for $40.00) had to stop at every other gas station to get waste oil.. could see it coming with the blue smoke.. starter kept hanging up and i had to crawl under and move the bendix all the time. a farmer stopped once when i was doing that and said "son what in the hell are you doing" told him and he told me to put it in reverse and rock it forward that would cause the bendix to got back.... he was right. a year later it had a 49 flathead in it, 3 -2 barrelled carbs mallory dual point ignition edelbrock heads (finned ) and dual 36" cherry bombs. and i put a radio in it, (cant cruise the local hangout without a radio tuned to WLS with dick biondi in chicago land without the radio) when i was in Vietnam she sold all of my cars to some guy for 400.00!!!!!.. but the truck really sounded great

First things first. Thank you for your service to our country. I too would often listen to WLS, but it would only come in when the weather was just right. Dave Dahl was the morning drive host in the late seventies/early eighties. The 46 CJ2A that I still have was purchased in Bartonville IL, back in around 1985. We drove it home, but it too was burning more oil than gas. We put it in storage in the garage for about ten years. We had purchased a CJ3A from Wisconsin, while traveling the back roads on our way to Oshkosh for the Fly In. The 3A was a basket case, and the body was completely trashed. It was used at their local airport for snow removal around the airport. Below the windshield was hand painted "Beware Helicopter Pilot". Dad spent a couple of years getting the drive train all back together, in order to use it around the home place. By that time we had acquired a Dodge M37 from the local fire department. It was a fun cruiser with only 11,000 miles on it. From there He purchased another CJ3A/M38 clone from a local guy who had purchased the kit from the Philippines. The frame and body were aftermarket, but the drivetrain was from a donor Jeep. The body was odd, in the matter that it had dash features of an M38, but no provisions for a battery box in the cowl. I suppose it was to circumvent the copyright that AMC/Chrysler had on the Jeep image and design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First things first. Thank you for your service to our country. I too would often listen to WLS, but it would only come in when the weather was just right. Dave Dahl was the morning drive host in the late seventies/early eighties. The 46 CJ2A that I still have was purchased in Bartonville IL, back in around 1985. We drove it home, but it too was burning more oil than gas. We put it in storage in the garage for about ten years. We had purchased a CJ3A from Wisconsin, while traveling the back roads on our way to Oshkosh for the Fly In. The 3A was a basket case, and the body was completely trashed. It was used at their local airport for snow removal around the airport. Below the windshield was hand painted "Beware Helicopter Pilot". Dad spent a couple of years getting the drive train all back together, in order to use it around the home place. By that time we had acquired a Dodge M37 from the local fire department. It was a fun cruiser with only 11,000 miles on it. From there He purchased another CJ3A/M38 clone from a local guy who had purchased the kit from the Philippines. The frame and body were aftermarket, but the drivetrain was from a donor Jeep. The body was odd, in the matter that it had dash features of an M38, but no provisions for a battery box in the cowl. I suppose it was to circumvent the copyright that AMC/Chrysler had on the Jeep image and design
    Attached Images Attached Images

First things first. Thank you for your service to our country. I too would often listen to WLS, but it would only come in when the weather was just right. Steve Dahl was the morning drive host in the late seventies/early eighties. The 46 CJ2A that I still have was purchased in Bartonville IL, back in around 1985. We drove it home, but it too was burning more oil than gas. We put it in storage in the garage for about ten years. We had purchased a CJ3A from Wisconsin, while traveling the back roads on our way to Oshkosh for the Fly In. The 3A was a basket case, and the body was completely trashed. It was used at their local airport for snow removal around the airport. Below the windshield was hand painted "Beware Helicopter Pilot". Dad spent a couple of years getting the drive train all back together, in order to use it around the home place. By that time we had acquired a Dodge M37 from the local fire department. It was a fun cruiser with only 11,000 miles on it. From there He purchased another CJ3A/M38 clone from a local guy who had purchased the kit from the Philippines. The frame and body were aftermarket, but the drivetrain was from a donor Jeep. The body was odd, in the matter that it had dash features of an M38, but no provisions for a battery box in the cowl. I suppose it was to circumvent the copyright that AMC/Chrysler had on the Jeep image and design

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. Name: M38A1 013.jpg Views: 0 Size: 97.8 KB ID: 1957 Click image for larger version. Name: Holly 361.jpg Views: 0 Size: 96.3 KB ID: 1958
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-09-2017 at 01:28 PM.