Page 182 of 252 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Have improved the brakes greatly, but still neeed someone to finish it by adj eccntrics individually

for the idle and mixture dont have a tach have to do it all by ear and being 90 percent deaf does not help

Set the idle where you like it by ear or feel. Turn the idle mixture screw in until it starts to shake a little. It will misfire as it gets too lean. Turn the screw back out about a turn and a half. That should do it by "feel". I have had to do a few carbs by feel. As I am sure gmwillys will attest, there is nothing like adjusting your carb, when there are many open exhaust motors revving all around you!

My hearing, sight, stamina etc. is definitely not what it used to be! I hope your service didn't cost you sir.

unfortunately it did,
    My hearing, sight, stamina etc. is definitely not what it used to be! I hope your service didn't cost you

cant hear for a damn, and got more holes in me than was born with, but wth still kicking and trying, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    unfortunately it did,
    My hearing, sight, stamina etc. is definitely not what it used to be! I hope your service didn't cost you

cant hear for a damn, and got more holes in me than was born with, but wth still kicking and trying, thanks
    I learned more book learning about Carter YF carburetors than I wanted to trying to get the '48 running. The YS on the M38A1 is in the same family and there are some lessons that might carry over from the YF to the YS. But - I still don't know doodle about carburetors... .

First of all - Old Jeeps Stink.

We've gotten used to catalytic converted low emission engines that don't have any smell. (One story I read a bit back was that a woman tried to kill herself by sitting in the garage with the car running and that particular vehicle was so low emission she got tired of sitting after a while and changed her mind without finishing off the deed!). A Jeep will smell when its running. Don't let a stink make you think its too rich.

The best way to see if its running too rich is to take it out for a drive for a while and when you get back, immediately shut it off (don't let it idle) and pull a plug or two. If you get the smoky black residue on the plug, the run mixture is too rich. If you are clean and grey, the run mixture is OK.

The screw adjustment on the throat of the YS and YF set the idle mixture. The run mixture is set by the internal jets and metering rods. As I read across the various internet places, there are all kinds of horror stories about folks who have used junk rebuild kits and gotten wrong metering rods and jets mixed into Carter YS carbs.

Set your idle mixture and idle, then check the run mixture. Don't confuse stink for too rich.

Then, this advice may stink too .... .

Getting there...
    Need passenger seat, speedometer cable, spare tire mount, few gaskets (darned oil pump) (darned exh manifold)

ALMOST2.jpgALMOST3.jpgALMOST4.jpgALMOST5.jpgALMOST1.jpg

Setting by ear is my favorite means. Bmorgil is correct, it is fun adjusting carbs while everyone around you is doing the same with open headers. I had an old beat up Holley 500 that I used on all the Mopar small and big block plants. The big blocks had a set of shorty zoomies that dumped upward with no collectors. You could watch each cylinder for proper burn. At WOT under load, you would get just a little blue flame at the tip of each pipe. The carb could be tuned for either engine by fattening the air fuel, your leaning out for the small blocks.

A tack will not directly hook to the distributor. There is a government issued adapter kit has everything that is needed. They are out there on the market, but tend to be expensive.

You have done a great job on your A1. Your to do list is getting to be pretty short.

That engine bay is great! It looks like 1953 all over again!

A step back in time!

Drove it for two full hours yesterday, even drove on the Camp Lejeune, young marines at first were very confused when they saw it, never probably seen one since the HUMV now present and one even asked "is this tactical?"
    Just smiled and showed ID card and license plate and they waved me thru. Got tons of whoops and hollers and drove to a jeep dealer and they all wanted photos