Page 189 of 252 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I have the universal manual. Mine is a L head. The universal manual covers both. Other than an error on the rebuild process for the water pump, it was pretty helpful. I think this manual would be very helpful. Many things are the same with the M38A1 and the CJ3B.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...-cj-2a-3a-3b-5

I found a few typo errors in it. Every specification to fully machine and rebuild the motor was in it. All the torque specs are there for the L 134 and the F 134 and they are correct. It was a bit vague in some areas but for the most part, it was great.

Have you seen this web site? http://www.m38a1.com/Resources/manuals_reading.htm I am not sure if this is the same stuff you have seen.

I have the TM9-8014 PDF and TM9-8015-1PDF “Operation and Organizational Maintenance for Truck, Utility ¼ Ton 4x4, M38A1” "Engine and Clutch manual" and the TM9-8015-2 powertrain and frame manual. They are PDF files. They are big files. I can only send them via email. I attached pictures of the covers. They are 53 MB in size. I can send them to you in an email. If you want them send me a PM with your email. I can also get it to LarrBeard or gmwillys . I think these are the manuals you are looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-05-2019 at 09:24 PM.

FOUND ONE IN HARD COPY
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/TM9-8015-1-...4AAMXQobdQ9ETk

PROBABLY COST THAT MUCH IN INK AND PAPER TO PRINT IT

True! I have the other two if you need them. I just print the pages I am working on that day. I also like to have the hard copy. Best way to pass the time when the game is on!

this might be a stupid question, but on my old 1932 Graham Paige that i restored back in late 50'd and early 60's i was able to push the complete piston out thru the top of the block (6 cyl inline) and replace rings. Now for the sake of shits and giggles this possible with my motor? just been thinking out loud, get a set of say .010 over rings and put them in? think it would improve compression?? do able?? However am sort of committed to complet rebuild of the spare motor also. new head gasket, rings, rod bearings, oil pan gasket

on the old graham i did it one piston at a time, removed, replaced and it started fine. then again maybe just push piston up enough to replace rings????
    lots of comments, dumb, stupid, dumb *** move, good idea?????????????

Ira, no such thing as a stupid question.

I would not do it. I am familiar with how they were kept running back in the day. That may have been driven by economy rather than correct procedure and process!

That said, if there is no ridge, they will definitely come out the top. The most important part of a re ring is the cylinder wall finish. If it is smooth the rings will not break in. To rough or, a bad pattern, and they will wear out before they seal. The fit and finish between the cylinder wall and the ring face is the whole deal. This "interface" is the most important thing you can do for the ring seal. The ring gap must also be correct.

I concur with Bmorgil.
    My grandfather used the 2A I have around the farm up until his death. When he took possession of the Willys, it burned more oil than gas. Since Grandpa was a minimalist, he replaced the one piston that was burned. No machine work, just the bare essentials. Everything worked out alright, as far as oil consumption is concerned, but the time is growing near to go through the engine again. 25 years on a bandaid fix isn't bad, and there are some unrelated oil leaks that need attention as well.
    Moral of the story, you can get a good running engine by cutting corners, but the longevity won't be there.

"but the longevity won't be there."

"I would not do it. I am familiar with how they were kept running back in the day. That may have been driven by economy rather than correct procedure and process!"

OH WELL, WAS JUST THINKING OUT LOUD,

Getting a start on it
    some pictures
    REBUILD2.jpg REBUILD3.jpg rebuild4.jpgrebuild5.jpgrebuild6.jpg

Looking good! No broken rods. Can't wait to hear how the bearings and throws look.