Page 207 of 247 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Hybrid View

I hope you didn't leave that nut loose holding the yoke up there.

No, i had taken photo before i put in a lock to hold the thing while i torqued it down, had to stick a crowbar in to keep from moving jeep with torque wrench, once i did that and checked all other bolts i could crawl out from under for the LAST TIME

Last time? You mean on this go round I take it! It is a very old Willys, it may need you from time to time!

you must not have read the previous posts, at first i thought i had left washer off, and was worried and took it all apart and lo and behold I HAD PUT THE WASHER ON, , then i discovered that i had actually had the drum on reverse (was convinced due to diagram and logic that no engineer would put big scoop down there to catch all the mud blood and beer from roadway) but sure as hell i had it reversed, so off and on again, all upside down on concrete floor, actually bruised my tail bone.. But drove it for 30 miles to warm things up and can now report no puddle on the garage floor.......washed the undersides with de greaser, drove it, and parked it on clean and mopped garage floor.... no leaks

late entry, laying on cold concrete for as many hours as i did, seems i managed to bruise my tailbone, sure is swollen, and damn if it don't just hurt

IN AN EFFORT TO BE AUTHENTIC RESTORATION.
    ALL BLACK OUT LIGHTS NOW WORK AND THEY DID WHEN NEW
    AUTHENTICITY.jpg

another add on question, i get some wheel shimmy at 45 to 50mph, was taught that steering wheel shimmy is almost always balance? true? there is no body shake and i aligned front end, and at 45-50mph if i relax hold on wheel and let it go where it wants to in about a mile it will have drifted to the right
    Last edited by pelago; 12-05-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Wheel Shimmy:

When I took the '48 over after my Dad passed away in '64, the front end was a disaster. I replaced several parts, but I never totally eliminated the death wobble. If it happens in traffic, you will need to go do some laundry once you get it settled down.

When we did the restoration, we rebuilt everything up front (it is a 2WD), but I added a Tight Steer tensioner to the steering box.

https://walcks4wd.com/tight-steer-se...ry-models.html

I can honestly say the truck has never driven as well as it does now. I'm not going to claim that the Tight Steer was a cure-all, but every litttle thing helps.

anyone want to comment on these>>
    https://www.jegs.com/p/Pertronix/Per...oductId=746414

The wheel shimmy could be a few things. Tire balance will cause it. On a front drive/steer axle like the Willys, often it is the steering knuckle pivot bearings. If the preload gets too loose on the pivot bearings or they get worn, it will shimmy. When the bearings get real loose it will shake you right off the highway. A condition referred to as "Death Wobble".

Put the front end up and check everything for looseness. Have someone move the steering wheel while you look for loose parts. If you have an alignment shop close by, often they will provide a check up no charge in the hopes of your business.

I have the Pertronix ignition hidden inside my distributor. I absolutely love it. No points, set the timing once and never touch it again. It starts up nicely.

This is their web site https://pertronix.com/

Isn't your M38A1 24 volt? I am not sure they make a 24 volt version.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.

After all the time you have spent putting Magoo back to USMC condition, ripping out the stock ignition for a Pertronix would be non-reg. That would deserve Office Hours. For a stock F-134 living the good life now - there isn't anything to be gained.

Quote Originally Posted by larrbeard View Post
    after all the time you have spent putting magoo back to usmc condition, ripping out the stock ignition for a pertronix would be non-reg. That would deserve office hours. For a stock f-134 living the good life now - there isn't anything to be gained.
    ya know, got to agree with what you said, it starts quick now, let choke do its thing to warm it up (35degree cold weather starts great) once it has run for a minute ot two i reduce to half choke and then when warmed up reduce to choke off and it quiets down to about 600 rpm smooth running ol motor

Shimmy can be caused by slack in the steering or somewhere else in the suspension. You can feel it on the steering wheel. Wheel balance as well as bad shocks will cause wheel bounce. Both are annoying.