Page 212 of 252 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

After all the time you have spent putting Magoo back to USMC condition, ripping out the stock ignition for a Pertronix would be non-reg. That would deserve Office Hours. For a stock F-134 living the good life now - there isn't anything to be gained.

Wheel Shimmy:

When I took the '48 over after my Dad passed away in '64, the front end was a disaster. I replaced several parts, but I never totally eliminated the death wobble. If it happens in traffic, you will need to go do some laundry once you get it settled down.

When we did the restoration, we rebuilt everything up front (it is a 2WD), but I added a Tight Steer tensioner to the steering box.

https://walcks4wd.com/tight-steer-se...ry-models.html

I can honestly say the truck has never driven as well as it does now. I'm not going to claim that the Tight Steer was a cure-all, but every litttle thing helps.

A knot or bubble on a tire can cause it too. Just from personal experience.

The Pertronix

One thing to add... On the Pertronix ignition, there is an Ignitor and an Ignitor II. These ignitions use a magnetically switched trigger (not a magnetic pulse). This has a majior advantage and a majior disadvantage. When the trigger is active, it is a mechanical switch so to speak. Because of this if it is lined up to trigger it will energize the coil if the key is on. Just like the points if they are closed, this will fry the module (or the points). The good news is for those of us who use a light bulb or volt meter to time the motor. It acts just like points. Key on rotate the distributor until the light bulb lights.... I do like these things. The Ignitor II has a protective circuit to compensate if you accidentally leave the key on. I still wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-07-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by larrbeard View Post
    after all the time you have spent putting magoo back to usmc condition, ripping out the stock ignition for a pertronix would be non-reg. That would deserve office hours. For a stock f-134 living the good life now - there isn't anything to be gained.
    ya know, got to agree with what you said, it starts quick now, let choke do its thing to warm it up (35degree cold weather starts great) once it has run for a minute ot two i reduce to half choke and then when warmed up reduce to choke off and it quiets down to about 600 rpm smooth running ol motor

SHIMMY
    going to check the bar that connects ross to front end to make sure no slap in there and rims and tires all new, that of course does not mean tht one of the rims might have a bump in it, will take the tires and have them balanced

Long ago i reconditioned original wiring, put new connectors on when needed, redid covering, one thing i noticed was that most of the label/numbers where in un readable condition. Using a ohm meter i was able to trace the correct hook up down, and then put on paper tags to allow installation.

tried to find label maker for metal and did not find one that was in any inexpensive mode. so said wth, later on i will come up with something. well later on is now and here is my solution.
    roof flashing material, non corrosive and pliable. number and letter punches and fireplace time, coffee and or bourbon nd sometime both
    numbers1.jpg numbers2.jpg

Nice and, permanant!

Coffee and bourbon always both!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Nice and, permanant!

Coffee and bourbon always both!

As far as my family goes, this critter is now a family heirloom, not to be parked out in weather, not a daily driver, special occasions, so forth, have a clear commitment from daughter. along with Magoo she gets technical library, all good receipts all sources of parts. and now a wire loom that does make you scratch your head.
    canvas, and a seat, maybe a radio 2020 year do that,,, but damn want a trailer.....................................
    veterans day.jpg

still tweaking steerimng...........
    have just a little steering wheel shimmy at 50mph+ It is not my intention to drive this guy much at that speed, but being a particular nerd about it being right have worked on it some
    now the drag link moves at the slightest touch of the wheel (at rest parked) and all have cotter pins in them at rest less than 3/4" off steering wheel turn before any resistance (tires)
    but what is next
    all seems right and tight
    and does this need to take the ross box out? https://www.kaiserwillys.com/tightst...0-71-m38-m38a1 ? and would i receive benefit from itmust be doing something correct. reduced the free play considerably, at 50mph released the wheel and it stayed right where it was for over a mile. very little shimmy now
    Last edited by pelago; 12-07-2019 at 04:30 PM.