Page 215 of 252 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The design of the tappets on the 134F or L wouldn't allow for any rendition of a hydraulic lifter. Hydraulic lifters requires a note to travel within, and pressurized oil supplied to the bore to transfer into the lifter to pump up the lifter to take up any lash.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    The design of the tappets on the 134F or L wouldn't allow for any rendition of a hydraulic lifter. Hydraulic lifters requires a note to travel within, and pressurized oil supplied to the bore to transfer into the lifter to pump up the lifter to take up any lash.
    gm's all over it. It could be done but the criteria of super expensive comes into play. If you could find a lifter that would fit, you would need the right length valves, a cam ground for them and a pressurized lubrication system that holds and supplies a minimum pressure to keep the lifters from collapsing at idle. Something the F and L 134's definitely cannot supply. A racing type dry sump oil system, some custom lifters and valves and some serious machine work (there are no oil passages for the lifter supply oil).

It COULD be done. It is on the outer limits of achievable however!

Did you think of this after you put the Bourbon in the coffee, Sir?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-15-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added respect!

"Did you think of this after you put the Bourbon in the coffee, Sir? "
    No was just idle thinking, saw so many conversions for motorcycles just wondered.. be kinda costly and with no guarantees

It would be cool that's for sure. Because of the flat head design, it would be kind of like an "Underhead Hydraulic Cam" instead of an "Overhead Cam". The valves on the L head and the exhaust valves on the F head would be running directly off the cam lobe with no valve lash to worry about. Interesting concept to say the least!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-15-2019 at 09:24 AM.

SPENT MUCH OF THE DAY DOING THINGS THAT NEEDED TO BE DONE BUT JUST WAS TOO LAZY TO DO, BUT DID THEM
    TRIMMED PLATE ON TOP OF BOOT FOR SHIFT LEFER
    ATTACHING CABLES TO FRAME WITH THE APPROPRIATE CLIPS
    MORE METAL TAGS,(HARD TO GET SPOTS)
    BUT HAVE SOME QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS.
    When these things made shoe size and persons size sure must have been smaller. In fact have a issue with the brake pedal and its proximity to gas pedal, just too damn close. May have to trim some??

SHOE UNDER BRAKE PEDAL2.jpg SHOE UNDER BRAKE.jpg

cleaned up under shift boot. ground plate and painted it
    TRIMMED.jpg

got two holes in dash panel that i can not identify, seen some photos and labels but was unable to read

WHAT ARE THESE FOR.jpg

do i want to fit this in somewhere, be a visible link to crud from tank???
    FUEL FILTER.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 12-15-2019 at 01:33 PM.

A. The lower left hole looks to be a bit out of round like someone put it in with a drill bit as an after market modification, but the top hole, with the little index hole at 12 o'clock looks a lot like a real hole (kind of like a switch tab locator.)

B. The best place for the visible crud filter would be between the tank and the suction side of the fuel pump. That way the crud never gets to the pump.

It's kind of funny to look at that. Those pedals and such look exactly like the one's I've been working on. I guess things didn't change much over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    A.B. The best place for the visible crud filter would be between the tank and the suction side of the fuel pump. That way the crud never gets to the pump.
    If you put a filter on the suction side of the pump you have to be careful. Some pumps will not have the "power" to pull the fuel correctly through the filter. It must be a high flow low restriction filter. The one you have there looks like one that is intended for the pressure side.

Yes the pedals are close! Looks just like mine. I guess they had little feet back in the day.

A FRONT END QUESTION.
    When i assembled the front end, tie rods etc I had no idea how tight to make the bolts on the ball joints. the manual does not address this it just says to put on nut and then the cotter pin, but how tight do these nuts actually need to be?

It is amazing how many things just didn't have a torque spec published. I had a hard time finding it. Based on old manuals from the model 25 axle, it is 22ft. lbs. and tighten till the closest cotter key hole lines up.