Page 224 of 252 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I have several of those Ira. The only problem you will have is they are made to bolt to a Chevy Motor. You will have to use a few pieces of steel to adapt it to the L134. It is going to be a little to wide. I think it could be modified or a few brackets made up fairly easy. For the price, you are right. You cant buy the material for that.

well,
    new radiator
    new tie rod ends
    new bell crank
    rebuilt drag llink
    new main gasket for transfer case

keeping fingers crossed, drove a little while, temp never moved 168degrees.... not too sure on alignment, pulls somewhat to the right now not much but some
    health wise, who the hell knows, not fgeeling like i did before christmas at all, fXck it
    Last edited by pelago; 02-07-2020 at 05:05 PM.

seems to me in my n aive way of thinking it is hard to adjust the toe in with wt of jeep on front tires??

To prevent scarring of the tie rods with a pipe wrench, on a straight axle suspension I would put it up on stands. With all new tie rod ends, it should adjust by hand with the weight off of the wheels. Toe adjustments will not be effected by the weight being off unless your king pins are worn.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    To prevent scarring of the tie rods with a pipe wrench, on a straight axle suspension I would put it up on stands. With all new tie rod ends, it should adjust by hand with the weight off of the wheels. Toe adjustments will not be effected by the weight being off unless your king pins are worn.

did that and the droivers side still hard to turn, but brought in in used tape measure and damn got to be close to it, drove it to wal mrt (sure does draw a crowd in parking lot) and at fifty miles ph,, let go of wheel and it sort of drifted to the right some

The crown of the road, and the nature of non directional bias plies, that will most likely be as good as it gets.

That is the reason I don't want to paint the 2A. Nothing says go away like rusty, jagged sheet metal.

WELL,
    Scrubbed garage floor, cleaned it well, Drove Magoo for an hour, steered well, no shakes, no shimmies, no noises.. temp gauge never moved from 168degrees.
    parked it in garage, went inside. This morning went out and started him up and moved to drive. Looked at floor, no gear lube anywhere, no puddles at all. guess the new gaskets and seals worked. No water anywhere. Had a spot from rear main, about hafpenny size, same size drop under rear differential right at the drain plug. front differential had a drop forming at the drain
    THINK THAT IS THE BEST IT IS GOING TO BE. REAR MAIN, SHOW ME A ORIGINAL MOTOR OF THAT ERA THAT DONT GIVE OFF SOME DROPS.....

NOW FOR EMERGENCY BRAKES

Good deal! Drips are just part of the experience of having a darn near 70 year old hunk of Iron and steel. Our '46 2A leaks from the rear main, and eventually it will get fixed, but for now there is a diaper of Pigg mat that keeps the oil from dripping in the driveway.

I agree on the 70 year old vehicle that's for sure. I think the fact is these baby's were a controlled leak right from the start. It is very hard to not have ANY leaks. The rear main, tappet cover, and the front and rear pan to block interface are just a few spots that seem to be notorious on the motor. On the trans and transfer case, there are many bolts that are tapped all the way through to the lube. It is very tough to permanently seal threads like that. And as Magoo proved, the rear cap/shim pack assembly is a prime leaker' spot.

Just like an old Harley. If it stops leaking, it's low on oil.