Page 225 of 252 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

" The rear main, tappet cover, and the front and rear pan to block interface are just a few spots that seem to be notorious on the motor. On the trans and transfer case, there are many bolts that are tapped all the way through to the lube." YUPPER.. and my way of thinking is few drops here and there screw it, i turn on ignition switch, she starts, after a bit relax the choke, Magoo, is ready to rock and roll.............
    Got this to say, Proud of the work, sure, got to say yes am proud. but more important is i am happy, happy with a piece of history that i in fact lived thru. Something that i in fact drove in combat. Neat. And I love the damn thing. All my life i awlays tried to do the best i could (well, we wont include high school times though) when i got to real world one had to be proud of their work, to know that quality control never found a issue with workmanship. So if anyone has one of these critters get off your dead *** and do it.
    Another thing, this may sound silly, but I am 75 years old and this past nearly four years has been important, the jeep gave me purpose, gave me something that was right at home, waiting for the next bolt to be turned. soon will have e brake in and rear seat, canvas coming. might be prudent to search for Project 2.0 what you all think???

You dont even have to think about that one! 2.0 for sure.

Your words ring so true Ira. I think the time I have spent with this project, the people I have met and the fact there is always something to do on it, make this a perfect life extender.

My project has sure given me plenty to do and think about and learn about this winter. I can actually talk intelligently about Jeeps now and honestly I didn't know much more than I knew a jeep when I saw it. It has also cost me a lot more in cash than I ever dreamed, but I have no one but myself to blame for that. Most of all, I'm glad you have got your health going in the right direction, Mr. pelago.

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    My project has sure given me plenty to do and think about and learn about this winter. I can actually talk intelligently about Jeeps now and honestly I didn't know much more than I knew a jeep when I saw it. It has also cost me a lot more in cash than I ever dreamed, but I have no one but myself to blame for that. Most of all, I'm glad you have got your health going in the right direction, Mr. pelago.
    thank you so very much, this is a great site, good information from knowledgeable people. you are part of the club,, thre "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO"

but you know what, it is simply one bolt at a time, then repeat that one more bolt... then after time you re done>

Jeep Projects

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    thank you so very much, this is a great site, good information from knowledgeable people. you are part of the club,, thre "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO"

but you know what, it is simply one bolt at a time, then repeat that one more bolt... then after time you re done>
    You talked about a drip here and a drop there. I think that's about as good as 70-year old Jeeps get - or probably ever were. I can remember the dirt floor in the home place garage and there were always oil spots under the crankcase vent tube, somewhere around the back of the transmission and somewhere around the differential on all of the vehicles - even the Allis-Chalmers tractor.

The chickens would escape their yard and go into the garage and take dirt baths in the bone dry dirt under the Jeep and the old Dodge - but you could always tell which ones had escaped because they would have oil on them from the drips.

Over at Jeep Fest last summer, as soon as we parked vehicles in the arena, the ladies helping with the event would show up with a handful of aluminum cake pans wanting to know how many we wanted. It was a given that we were going to drip - just how much!

I still claim that Old Jeeps and Old Guys are a lot alike; a bit cranky, we have our quirks, we sometimes smell bad and we sometimes drip on the floor. It's just us.

"
    I still claim that Old Jeeps and Old Guys are a lot alike; a bit cranky, we have our quirks, we sometimes smell bad and we sometimes drip on the floor. It's just us. "

and when over 70 being cranky is allowed
    just went out andchecked got under it and still onlyone drop for rear main all else good......

That's why I like to save large flat cardboard boxes. They make perfect oil drip catchers.

just picked up the head from the machine shop for the 134f spare motor, looks great, did a valve job and shave head a bit
    $150.00 us dollars, picked these guys because the did such a fine job on the diesel i rebuilt. I drove Magoo out to them to pick head up, owner of shop wanted to buy Magoo

That was money well spent! Good machine shops are hard to come by these days, or at least they are getting fewer and farther between.

Can not say just how disappointed i am, a business that i trusted for years and years
    really steered me wrong, Cliffs auto repair, the place i took the radiator really lied to me, just plain lied. Their words
    "too much corrosion. can not repair" should have been, "Mr Jones, we are just too busy to mess with it, we have not even looked at it" but no they had some cockamamie bull crap. After the new 600.00 radiator in got to thinking, seriously looked inside the old one, had one of those little cameras, corrosion, what corrosion. Actually found a old time radiator repair 60 miles away, nondescript shop out in the country. took the think in and there was a man actually soldering a cap on a radiator, Asked him if he could do a pressure test and he said sure, Long story short, there was a tiny crack in bottom of end cap near drain, took him fifteen minutes to fix. new pressure test to 30bls not a leak, thing sat in test tank and not a bubble to be found. Had Cliffs auto repair just told the damn truth....