Page 23 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

well, waiting for the socket to pull the last drum off, but i have dismantled all of the brake systems on each drum that i can (exception the one that i can not get drum off due to not having the socket yet) but all of the shoes are simply just not worn nor need to be replaced. will remplace all of the springs, rusty.. and of course new cylinders, but shoes are in great shape, must be that the odometer correct 15k miles nothing. too bad this critter just sat out in the rain like most of our rolling stock does now

The original brake shoes are far better than the non asbestos brake shoes made now a days. A couple of good taps with a hammer and punch is enough to loosen the hub nuts. The socket is nice, but not always necessary for disassembly. Now, to install, the socket is a must use.

after spending 45 minutes on one of the drum screws, and 1/2 can of propane, broke out the drill and knocked the head off of each one and the rear drums came right off. just one of the front drums came off. the other one will require pulling the hub after pulling the big nut. but most of the hardware is toast, so new springs and the hold down springs
    not sure about the adj bolt, that is used to adj the shoes, got to take a closer look but WTH couple of bucks and Kaiser toy store.. I measured each shoe and they all are about .198 to .200 lots of life in all of them. all of the cylinders that i have removed are toast, rebuild kit versus new ones is a no brainer, four new ones around. the brakes froze with the cylinders out and the shoes right up against the drum. will have that socket after the first. need clips to hold the steel brake line to the flex one, but again they are out there. feel exceptionally confident that the restored jeep will have good solid brakes. better than my 35 ford with the mechanical brakes!!!

got to say this,,, wonder who the rocket scientist was that came up with right hand and left hand lug nuts and same for studs. can see it in the pouring down rain having to do multiple tire changes, and lug nuts getting all mixed up.. not to mention adding to a huge federal stock number deal, different lug nuts for one freakin jeep. this does not impress me at allleftrear2.jpg left rear ready to rebuild
    Last edited by pelago; 11-25-2017 at 06:05 PM.

The left hand threads traces its roots to the horse drawn wagon days. The left side was left handed threads to prevent the hub nuts from backing off while traveling forward.... Horses didn't back up much. I know my 63 wagon still has one hub that has left handed studs. Good thing the stud has an L on the end of it. I doubt there is many shops that know to look for it. They would most likely break the studs off trying to remove a wheel. I often think that if I change out studs, I will stay with left handed studs just for aggravation. Mine or whomever ends up with my collection when I tip over.

oh well. not today, but in future will wind up with all four wheels right handed
    Last edited by pelago; 11-27-2017 at 10:42 PM.

THINKING OUR LOUD.... just so happens i have a 1955 chevy V8 265 cu inches, few goodies on it, headman headers, new pistons circa 1965, good ignition (old school) 1 AFB carb, small but potent cam. got a extra jeep frame. hmmmm hmmmm crazy????

I can see potential there. Crazy....No.

crazy yes....Beef up frame, close it in and make it pure box beam. new rear end, chevy four speed hurst shifter, custom drive shaft, modify or hang a new front end... drop engine in,,, already checked measurements and it will fit fine. pair of 36" cherry bombs some kind of a body??? HMMM in fact I know where there is a 32 roadster shell with no rust... roadster with a jeep front end????? call it a jeefster?? still only in the thinking stage crazy???? pair or road slicks on *** end, wide whitewalls on front and moon caps i know this 265 does not weigh as much as the 134. no way paint it fire freakin engine hot rod red
    Last edited by pelago; 11-28-2017 at 08:03 AM.

No, not crazy. I'm liking the direction this is heading. The jeep front grill will work out well. I know where there is an extra late model Willys wagon grill that could be had for cheap. Not the one in the photo, but same design. A 32 roadster body would blend in rather well, in my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.

damn, screwed up again.. ordered a bunch of brake stuff, flex hoses, s lines so forth and forgot the damn crush washers. Also, damn if i can find references to crush washers in brake lines in the manual?? when i took the old brake lines off both M38A1's that i have there were not crush washers in any of the brake lines that i took apart, unless they were so tiny i missed them??? confusing?? i called mike at kaiser and he said "you need them" so order more "stuff:
    Last edited by pelago; 12-05-2017 at 02:18 AM.