Page 231 of 252 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Crummy and PO'ed

[QUOTE=pelago;11296]AM IN A CRUMMY PO'D MOOD.

Well, go ahead and gripe to us. we're way past getting any feelings hurt.

Gout and shingles are two things I've not had and I'm not ready to get in either line. One part of us says get up and push through the pain - the other part says "Damn, that really hurts". I would be concerned if the "push through the pain" approach would cause some additional damage to joints from the uric acid crystals scraping around on joint surfaces - kind of like shavings under a rod bearing.

I'd give the meds a few days to work on things so you don't end up causing more damage than has already been done.

Get well ...

happy days coming got a husky 16yr old graandsone to crawl under neath the jeep and help with the e brake

This is the way it should be! God bless your grandson!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    this is the way it should be! God bless your grandson!!
    well this is a goods thing, because i am leaving magoo to my daughter in writing in my will

Matthews, Brander, ed. (1852–1929). The Oxford Book of American Essays. 1914.

III. Dialogue Between Franklin and the Gout

Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)

Midnight, 22 October, 1780.

FRANKLIN. Eh! Oh! eh! What have I done to merit these cruel sufferings? 1
    GOUT. Many things; you have ate and drank too freely, and too much indulged those legs of yours in their indolence. 2
    FRANKLIN. Who is it that accuses me? 3
    GOUT. It is I, even I, the Gout. 4
    FRANKLIN. What! my enemy in person? 5
    GOUT. No, not your enemy. 6
    FRANKLIN. I repeat it, my enemy; for you would not only torment my body to death, but ruin my good name; you reproach me as a glutton and a tippler; now all the world, that knows me, will allow that I am neither the one nor the other. 7
    GOUT. The world may think as it pleases; it is always very complaisant to itself, and sometimes to its friends; but I very well know that the quantity of meat and drink proper for a man, who takes a reasonable degree of exercise, would be too much for another, who never takes any. 8
    FRANKLIN. I take—eh! oh!—as much exercise—eh!—as I can, Madam Gout. You know my sedentary state, and on that account, it would seem, Madam Gout, as if you might spare me a little, seeing it is not altogether my own fault. 9
    GOUT.in life is a sedentary one, your amusements, your recreation, at least, should be active. You ought to walk or ride; or, if the weather prevents that, play at billiards. But let us examine your course of life. While the mornings are long, and you have leisure to go abroad, what do you do? Why, instead of gaining an appetite for breakfast, by salutary exercise, you amuse yourself with books, pamphlets, or newspapers, which commonly are not worth the reading. Yet you eat an inordinate breakfast, four dishes of tea, with cream, and one or two buttered toasts, with slices of hung beef, which I fancy are not things the most easily digested. Immediately afterwards you sit down to write at your desk, or converse with persons who apply to you on business. Thus the time passes till one, without any kind of bodily exercise. But all this I could pardon, in regard, as you say, to your sedentary condition. But what is your practice after dinner? Walking in the beautiful gardens of those friends with whom you have dined would be the choice of men of sense; yours is to be fixed down to chess, where you are found engaged for two or three hours! This is your perpetual recreation, which is the least eligible of any for a sedentary man, because, instead of accelerating the motion of the fluids, the rigid attention it requires helps to retard the circulation and obstruct internal secretions. Wrapt in the speculations of this wretched game, you destroy your constitution. What can be expected from such a course of living, but a body replete with stagnant humors, ready to fall prey to all kinds of dangerous maladies, if I, the Gout, did not occasionally bring you relief by agitating those humors, and so purifying or dissipating them? If it was in some nook or alley in Paris, deprived of walks, that you played awhile at chess after dinner, this might be excusable; but the same taste prevails with you in Passy, Auteuil, Montmartre, or Sanoy, places where there are the finest gardens and walks, a pure air, beautiful women, and most agreeable and instructive conversation; all which you might enjoy by frequenting the walks. But these are rejected for this abominable game of chess. Fie, then, Mr. Franklin! But amidst my instructions, I had almost forgot to administer my wholesome corrections; so take that twinge,—and that. 10
    FRANKLIN. Oh! eh! oh! Ohhh! As much instruction as you please, Madam Gout, and as many reproaches; but pray, Madam, a truce with your corrections! 11
    GOUT. No, Sir, no,—I will not abate a particle of what is so much for your good,—therefore— 12
    FRANKLIN. Oh! ehhh!—It is not fair to say I take no exercise, when I do very often, going out to dine and returning in my carriage. 13
    GOUT. That, of all imaginable exercises, is the most slight and insignificant, if you allude to the motion of a carriage suspended on springs. By observing the degree of heat obtained by different kinds of motion, we may form an estimate of the quantity of exercise given by each. Thus,

For more... https://www.bartleby.com/109/3.html

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Matthews, Brander, ed. (1852–1929). The Oxford Book of American Essays. 1914.

III. Dialogue Between Franklin and the Gout

Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)

Midnight, 22 October, 1780.

FRANKLIN. Eh! Oh! eh! What have I done to merit these cruel sufferings? 1
    GOUT. Many things; you have ate and drank too freely, and too much indulged those legs of yours in their indolence. 2
    FRANKLIN. Who is it that accuses me? 3
    GOUT. It is I, even I, the Gout. 4
    FRANKLIN. What! my enemy in person? 5
    GOUT. No, not your enemy. 6
    FRANKLIN. I repeat it, my enemy; for you would not only torment my body to death, but ruin my good name; you reproach me as a glutton and a tippler; now all the world, that knows me, will allow that I am neither the one nor the other. 7
    GOUT. The world may think as it pleases; it is always very complaisant to itself, and sometimes to its friends; but I very well know that the quantity of meat and drink proper for a man, who takes a reasonable degree of exercise, would be too much for another, who never takes any. 8
    FRANKLIN. I take—eh! oh!—as much exercise—eh!—as I can, Madam Gout. You know my sedentary state, and on that account, it would seem, Madam Gout, as if you might spare me a little, seeing it is not altogether my own fault. 9
    GOUT.in life is a sedentary one, your amusements, your recreation, at least, should be active. You ought to walk or ride; or, if the weather prevents that, play at billiards. But let us examine your course of life. While the mornings are long, and you have leisure to go abroad, what do you do? Why, instead of gaining an appetite for breakfast, by salutary exercise, you amuse yourself with books, pamphlets, or newspapers, which commonly are not worth the reading. Yet you eat an inordinate breakfast, four dishes of tea, with cream, and one or two buttered toasts, with slices of hung beef, which I fancy are not things the most easily digested. Immediately afterwards you sit down to write at your desk, or converse with persons who apply to you on business. Thus the time passes till one, without any kind of bodily exercise. But all this I could pardon, in regard, as you say, to your sedentary condition. But what is your practice after dinner? Walking in the beautiful gardens of those friends with whom you have dined would be the choice of men of sense; yours is to be fixed down to chess, where you are found engaged for two or three hours! This is your perpetual recreation, which is the least eligible of any for a sedentary man, because, instead of accelerating the motion of the fluids, the rigid attention it requires helps to retard the circulation and obstruct internal secretions. Wrapt in the speculations of this wretched game, you destroy your constitution. What can be expected from such a course of living, but a body replete with stagnant humors, ready to fall prey to all kinds of dangerous maladies, if I, the Gout, did not occasionally bring you relief by agitating those humors, and so purifying or dissipating them? If it was in some nook or alley in Paris, deprived of walks, that you played awhile at chess after dinner, this might be excusable; but the same taste prevails with you in Passy, Auteuil, Montmartre, or Sanoy, places where there are the finest gardens and walks, a pure air, beautiful women, and most agreeable and instructive conversation; all which you might enjoy by frequenting the walks. But these are rejected for this abominable game of chess. Fie, then, Mr. Franklin! But amidst my instructions, I had almost forgot to administer my wholesome corrections; so take that twinge,—and that. 10
    FRANKLIN. Oh! eh! oh! Ohhh! As much instruction as you please, Madam Gout, and as many reproaches; but pray, Madam, a truce with your corrections! 11
    GOUT. No, Sir, no,—I will not abate a particle of what is so much for your good,—therefore— 12
    FRANKLIN. Oh! ehhh!—It is not fair to say I take no exercise, when I do very often, going out to dine and returning in my carriage. 13
    GOUT. That, of all imaginable exercises, is the most slight and insignificant, if you allude to the motion of a carriage suspended on springs. By observing the degree of heat obtained by different kinds of motion, we may form an estimate of the quantity of exercise given by each. Thus,

For more... https://www.bartleby.com/109/3.html
    this is by far the most pain i have felt sincew got shot down in '75 off Kon Tang island in a '53. so so very painful

PESKY PESKY PESKY
    As said before old men and old jeeps leak, that is true in my household, but at least i miss the floor..
    Due to my stupidity i never researched teflon tape, never thought i would need it,,, you tighten up a fill hole or drain hole and it stops leaking right????? WRONG..................
    GOT UNDER JEEP AND INVESTIGATED, Every single gasket i put in right and tight. every single fill hole and drain hole leaks around the threads.
    screw it, let it leak and of course i got maybe a cup full of oil in 3000 miles of driving with the rear main again screw it, bot a whole new motor being brought bsck to new life as we type

Pipe thread is a good conduit for oil to excape to the outside. Teflon tape or loctite pipe dope seals the threads, but allows you to remove the plug during service. Rear main seals are a whole different animal. The rope seal isn't the best design for oil and environment separation.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Pipe thread is a good conduit for oil to excape to the outside. Teflon tape or loctite pipe dope seals the threads, but allows you to remove the plug during service. Rear main seals are a whole different animal. The rope seal isn't the best design for oil and environment separation.
    well it is just gonna leak some, am done with it and the rear main on rebuild being done at machine shop, hell they do it for a living, i have done two in 75 yrs

This is why there is a fill hole and Cake pans!