Page 3 of 252 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

really need a blow up of rear bumper set up having some issues. previous owner (s) did some welding and i am trying to reverse this???
    Last edited by pelago; 07-07-2016 at 08:03 AM.

One thing that i have noticed is that the two m38a1's that i have all have one thing in common,,,,,,
    under the jeep, or bottom of the jeep is painted black, and that is the engine compartment all of it is black is that proper?

can someone tell me how the transmission and transfer case actually bolt to the cross member piece, unfortunately mthe two jeeps i have do not have one on them and i ordered a new one but truying to line up the holes is not that easy and i do not wan to ger a crane to puck up the engine sure like to see a drawing

resize_0926161736(2).jpg
    WELL!! all of the differentials and springs removed and now to take it to sandblast. really looking forward to having it in the garage under cover and primed and painted USMC Green, have to replace the rear shock mounts and will probably grind them off, have two new ones ready to go

Somewhat of a set back was hoping to rebuild by cleaning and painting springs but found just too much rust and weakened leafs so back to order book

Sprungs .. er ... Springs

On the '48 2WD truck, we were able to salvage the front springs, but the back ones were too far gone. The good news is that it's a straightforward job, but we did have to make a special drift tool to get the old worn bushings out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    On the '48 2WD truck, we were able to salvage the front springs, but the back ones were too far gone. The good news is that it's a straightforward job, but we did have to make a special drift tool to get the old worn bushings out.
    THANKS FOR THE IMAGES I might get lucky the springs on the 2nd jeep look better than the ones i took off, but to be sure i am in process of removing springs for inspection, if looks good will dis assemble each one clean and sand and paint and rebuild i hope i hope i hope
    one other interesting development, i had a box with all the nuts and bolts and screws that i took off the first jeep, they on the surface look pretty bad, but i tumbled them in the same device i use to clean brass for reloading, they were tumbled in stainless steel rods 3/16" X 3/4" over night with water and a little dishwashingliquid, damn but they came out almost new looking and i bet i can use 90% of them
    they must have used good steel in the 40"s

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    i tumbled them in the same device i use to clean brass for reloading,
    Yep - brass tumblers can clean up a lot of other things besides cases...

clutch assembly. wouldnt the prudent thing to do since i alrready have the engine on the stand and bell housing and tranny attached would be to go ahead and get the rebuild kit and replace clutch

Should I get the XXXX Kit?

wouldnt it be the the prudent thing to do - since i already have the (fill in the blank here) out, to go ahead and get the rebuild kit and replace (fill in the blank again).

This is what every Jeep overhaul job get to.

Welcome to the club.

Seriously, look things over very closely. If it looks worn, corroded or oil soaked - fix it now. It will never be any easier or less expensive, you just didn't plan on doing it!