Page 32 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I guess it’s been close to 20 years since I heard the story. I didn’t remember many details other than abandoned aircraft on a frozen lake, a crew got it running, APU caught fire as they went to takeoff and the film crew didn’t want to use their helicopter to help someone who was hurt or maybe sick. With the info you provided I was able to do a search and fill in some blanks.

Kee Bird was sad story of a lot of things gone very wrong that cost people their lives as well as losing an airplane.

at the Nationals at Camp Perry two years ago, there was a B17 that was offering rides, 300.00 for a hour ride in a B17. Damn my shooting schedule just would not let me go for a ride, but i wanted to......
    on a lighter note, it seems that i haad a original GI pumpt and did not know ittale of the pump.jpg the one on the far left is a original pump Kaiser Willys will rebuild it, the wrong pump and the GI pump on its way to Aiken SC as i type

$300 for an hour ride would be worth every penny. As a youngster, we would go to Oshkosh, then in the fall, we would go to the Stearman Fly In. I'm a sucker for a war bird. The Boeing museum in Seattle is worth a visit also. I have had the chance to be up close to three B-17s. Sentimental Journey, Liberty Belle (lost to in flight fire), and EAA's Aluminum Overcast. Have yet to book a ride though. Bucket list item.

Sounds like you are back on track as far as your fuel pump. What is the turn around time on a rebuild?
    Attached Images Attached Images

UPDATE..

hooked two new 51r in series to starter and ground and hit the starter, she turns over and starter is good, plus had 12lbs oil pressure starter only

"Spin One"

You've got the process started.
    Good oil pump, no open lines.

It won't be long now. That first time she pops off, then you'll be dialing in the timing. You'll have here purring in no time.

AIRPLANE STUFF any one ever ride in a dc3. lst time in okinawa there was two hummers one that would take guys to korea for a pheasant hunting trip funded by special services.. we flew in the hummer, kinda bumpy but crew said all normal. good trip got four pheasants and they were cooked in a "lodge" actually just a big korean house rented by special services. fun trip

Ozark Airlines had a DC3 on display, outside of one of the local airport terminals. The bird was brought out for air show rides for a donation fee. We took a 30 minute ride for about $20 a person. You can tell that there are no assists to the controls, because you bob and weave throughout the flight. It seemed like a real stick and rudder aircraft. The cough, spit, sputter of the radials firing up, and the smell of the avgas. Nothing is comparable.

Can anyone guess where?

I will give one hint, ( BIG )
    Attached Images Attached Images