Page 44 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

dist cap.jpg

uh oh my manual says the one in photo top right is number 1
    have to make it so that the lifters do not fall out or interfere with the pulling of cam, drop oil pan, pull cam, get bad lifter out and order parts. there is a thick gasket, collar made out of fiber under the dist cap mounting right where shaftt goes in to the dist, can not find it, mine is in two pieces. does the oil sump have do come out??
    Last edited by pelago; 03-10-2018 at 06:06 PM.

No, oil sump stays out of the way.

Uh -oh myself. My civilian distributor has the little black plastic cap. You've got the MIL-SPEC one. I'm talking when I should be looking and listening.

Sorry 'bout that...
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-10-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: I was wrong...

Sorry 'bout that... scared me, thought oh now what have i screwed up,

got to find that little gasket that goes in a recess at the bottom of the distributor and the top of the shaft the one i have is in bad shape

dist cap.jpg

I was thinking about the oil pump/distributor thing this morning on the way to church. Getting the oil pump drive gear to fit the camshaft drive gear on the exact tooth is one of those hold your tongue right jobs, but if I recall correctly, +/- one tooth will adjust out by mechanical rotation of the distributor - at least on the civilian distributor.

Is there a gasket that covers the whole flange under the distributor? If it's just flat, make one.

If you need one for the recess, would an o-ring do?

There isn't that much oil splashing up there - I suspect the gasket was to keep water out when you went amphibious
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.

pretty precise circle gasket 1" or so, maybe a little bigger. 3/16thick maybe for some reason my damm camera on phone stopped sending pictures or i would post one

HERE IS MY PLAN!!
    FEEL FREE TO CRITIQUE IT AND OR TEAR IT APART
    GIVEN aint gonna run right with a defective lifter, needs to be replaced
    do not want to pull the whole engine out of the jeep, after quite a lengthy conversation with a neighbor who has been in the mechanics trade for quite a while and his father before him.
    1. hold the four valves up with custom pieces of 3/8 cut out plywood (don't want metal to metal, wood gives)
    2. use plastic wire ties to hold all 8 lifters up high (have a test going on now to see if one falls after super tight wire tie holding it up) four hours so far so good
    3. remove front gear, (created a timing reference mark for tdc #1 on two gears)
    4. pan removed distributor and oil pump out, and pull the cam, from the bottom up replace lifter and tie it off with wire tie
    5. replace lifter
    6. put cam back in, and then relax wire ties, spring compressor and remove valve, has some scratches on it, that i made trying to cheat it down
    7. adjust lifters one at a time
    8. replace front gears and insure proper alignment of #1tdc, install oil pump in correct alignment with the slot on bottom and also distributor so it points to #1
    9. new front seal (why not, cheap but old one looks brand new)
    10. new gaskets
    fire the old beast up

I agree with your plan. I believe you need to inspect the valve guides to ensure that there is not any residual rust/metal stuck in the guide itself. A little time spent now, will prevent a head ache further down the road.

It seems that replacement cam gears do not have timing marks, from what I've read. The following link has information on to where the marks need to be. The marks can be verified by also checking the flywheel timing marks. Those marks are visible through the inspection hole under the starter, looking toward the rear, at the flywheel.

http://farmjeep.com/projects/ole-blue/cj3a-part18.html

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t...opic38766.html

You had asked about head light bezels. Peter DeBella has complete light assemblies, headlight, bucket, bezel. They may be able to help you out with your distributor gasket. I bet you could make one for next to nothing.

http://www.debellajeepparts.com/m38premier.htm
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-12-2018 at 05:52 AM.

valve-camshaft-timing-gear-f-engine-E_3.jpg

i dont see any guides in there,,,, the valve, seat, lifter (in two parts) and spring set up??

The diagram is with the head drawing. Just like the mil speck drawings we use today, not everything is in the same drawing. Sometimes it is like hunting for snipes.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...-engine-view-2
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-12-2018 at 12:38 PM.