Page 46 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Somehow i lost the driver for the internet access card, just today go the PC back, however ordered new set of valves, went with the stainless and the new style retainer clips, seemed that the old retainers just looked worn? and kinda flimsy?? but ordered the kit, new gaskets and new front seals, and of course the new lifter. supposed to be here monday. like the free shipping that kaiser does for orders of 100.00 or more

We hadn't heard from you in a while and were wondering if you managed to bung yourself up somehow. Good to hear from you.

Yeah, while you are in the neighborhood on top of the engine, you might as well fix everything that you see that you don't like. You could probably have gotten by with the old valves, but while you're in there - this is the easiest time to do it. Same with retainers, and just one lifter?

Good luck!

Glad to have you back with us. I too was concerned that you got winged again.

Something you may think about. While you have the head off, and you have ordered the stainless valves, is installing hardened valve seats. Then you will be free to run unleaded fuel. Finding lead substitute is getting hard to come by. The parts houses around here have never heard of it..... Most of the counter jockeys are Y2k babies, so no surprise there.

go the seats....

got notice that pieces and parts to be here monday, and since putting in hardened seats is it true that can burn unleaded okay, plan on using 93 alcohol free to save any rubber gaskets that can be crapped out by that stuff. oh yeah, had a friend measure the cylinders with a guage that he ran down each one and he said, hell these aint even broken in yet....

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Do you have any reason to think that the worm is worn? I have replaced the sector (
    the ears that rode in the worm were badly worn), but the worm was in good shape. You have two vehicles, you probably already have at least one good one.

I'd hold off till you tear down the steering box and see what shape things are in.

Unleaded fuel doesn't have the cushioning effect that leaded fuel does. The lead would soften the contact between the valve seat and the valve. The hardened seats and stainless valves provide a longer lasting engine. With that being said, if you are not going to drive your rig everyday, and will not be running the engine at the higher end of the RPM range, then you could get away with a lead substitute. I run the non alcohol unleaded fuel in my CJ2A, with the lead substitute, for the time being, but when the engine is ready for a rebuild, I will be adding the hardened seats to the block.

I agree with LarrBeard. The ears on the sector shaft are the first to go. This is what causes the wandering steering. There is an adjustment that you could try first that may help, and determine whether your worm gear is worn or not. There is an stud with a jam nut on the frame side of the steering box. Loosen the jam nut and turn the stud clockwise, until it bottoms out. Back off the stud an 1/8 of a turn , (or a slight drag is felt when the steering wheel is turned) and tighten the jam nut while holding the stud. When the preload is set with the wheels straight, turn the wheel to full left, then right. If the steering is tightens up at the extreme angles more than being straight, then you have a worn worm gear, because the center position is worn more than the left and right positions. I have performed this on several Ross gear boxes, and as long as the steering components down stream are tight, it will work well. I am assuming that you are wanting to take care of the free play in the steering wheel, and this will help.

http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=144791

Tires make a difference also. Bias plies will want to follow every groove in the road. Non directional tires are not as bad for this, but are terrible in the rain, on pavement.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-02-2018 at 04:55 AM.

The '48 had always steering issues, even after I replaced the sector and worm 'way back in 1966 or so. In the restoration, we got a whole steering and gear shift assembly from the Toledo guy. Things were not worn, but just because I had a history with the vehicle, I put a Tite Steer lock device on the steering box. That gadget uses a spring to hold a ball against the sector.

It has driven very nicely since then - better than it ever did in the olden days. A full steering rebuild probably helped a lot too. I can't claim which fix did what (probably all of them contributed a little)..

And, yes, bias ply tires do make life interesting at times. There is one section of road near me that makes me wonder if I'm going to visit the corn field, but the groove stops before we get to the corn - or beans - or wheat - depending on the year.

One more comment. The Ross gear box should be filled with oil, same as differential. Most have developed leaks at the sector shaft seal and folks have added a Zerk and filled with grease. This doesn't lubricate all of the bearings up on the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Do you have any reason to think that the worm is worn? I have replaced the sector (
    the ears that rode in the worm were badly worn), but the worm was in good shape. You have two vehicles, you probably already have at least one good one.

I'd hold off till you tear down the steering box and see what shape things are in.
    the end where the steering wheel goes in is severly damaged, need new shaft, somehow the threads are destroyed seems to be taking off the nut using a wheel puller expanded the entire thread area and no way can a nut go on or off, just shot., and have two boxes

waiting for mr postman with new pieces and parts