Page 51 of 252 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

It's a short list anyway. Rome wasn't built in a day, and short cuts cost you more in the long run. You'll have me beat by a long shot, in terms of being on the road.

Found out some interesting solutions to some problems
    nc dmv do not need a inspection too old can get insurance which covers total loss and liability for about 100.00 a year and that includes driving it 2500 miles a year

i did a major screw up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Somehow, and i have no idea how++ but somehow i forgot to put the gasket on for the cover over the valve adj side cover for the 134 f engine. discovered that yesterday, when i was at my workbencch and looked up and saw the gasket hanging there at the same safe location i put it when i took the cover off. i put it there so nothing would happen to it, well nothing happened to it all right especially since i forgot to put it on the damn thing. All i can say is i blew it, but when i took the cover off i could see the outline of the gasket and probably thought at the time that the gasket was there when i put cover on. could still see the outline of the gasket... well i cleaned the area again and now have the gasket on. what a idiottic thing to do, and to answer the question, that is the only one i forgothttps://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=IOPDP1
    Last edited by pelago; 04-13-2018 at 09:02 AM.

It happens to the best of us. At least it wasn't thrown out with the trash. Insurance is cheap, being the age of the Jeep, and your intended purpose. I've had insurance on my CJ2, but have yet to get the license plate. This is a no title state, so a bill of sale is all I need, but it is no fun going to the registration office. I have to put it on the trailer, then they have to verify the serial number. I have been driving it around with the expired Illinois plate. Nobody really cares.

i can get a plaate, and am in the works for a title, the DMV guy that is inspecting it and working with me is quite interested in the progress, but i have a original ID Plate which helped establish the date of manufacture and the year

In Indiana, when you re-register a vehicle that has been sitting for a number of years, you pay a penalty for the number of years it sat without it having been properly registered.

Since I really wanted the registration, I kept my opinion of that rule to myself and just said "Thank you, ma'am".

And, oh by the way, if that is the worst screw up you want to brag about - go to the back of the line. We all have better ones than that to tell about!

I can tell on myself. I was working on a Gallion road grader. One of the moldboard lift cylinders was leaking at the rod packing. That's not a big deal, just lower the moldboard to where it rest on the ground, then unbolt the rod end from the the carrier. Loosen the cap end hydraulic line then tipped the cylinder up to drain the contents of the cap end. Then loosen the rod end hose and let drain. From there the torch had to be brought out to warm up the collar to bust it loose. Everything was going to plan this far. Since the cylinder was still mounted to the grader, I felt proud of myself for being so ingenious. With the collar cooled off, it was time to let gravity do its job, with minimal effort on my part, to then drop the rod end out of the bore. Whet the packing reached the end of the bore, it usually takes a couple of whacks to get the packing past the end. Well, here where everything goes to hell. When the packing exits the bore, there was a gallon or so of hydraulic fluid sitting on top of the packing. In all my brilliance, when I thought I managed to successfully drain the cylinder, it all didn't. That wouldn't be that bad of a deal, I've made bigger messes on purpose, but I had decided that the best way to handle the rod end was to bear hug it. When the packing released the residual oil, it dumped down the front of me. The worst part was that the majority of the oil went down the pant leg, filling my boot with oil. I kept a change of uniforms at the shop, just for such an emergency, but not a spare pair of boots. Word to the wise, floor dry will pull the lion share of oil from the boot. I didn't have to polish them for the remainder of their life span.

New gasket set arrived today, put it on and no more exh leaks, making progress, sure sounds funny with that damned 24" glaspak on there carb rebuild and new plug wires next, carb leaking fuel when running, that's bad, but have two complete carbs and found out that the people that make new inserts have all the sizes and i have some places on the carb body that are stripped. will order a set for repair and put inserts in the carb body. Did have one problem when making sure all bolts tight i managed to wring one off on the oil pump (damn) got to take the pump off and dig out the old piece of busted bolt, that is always such fun. wonder if i should take it to someone that does that all day long and knows precisely what yto do, i have done it but managed to screw up the threads couple of times would imagine a good machine shop has the talent and expertise that i do not have

ALSO....... Anyone tell me why there is a external line from side of engine down at the oil internal line going from that point up to the head?? right next to the bell house covering, pain in the ***................
    mine has a pesky leak and only way i can see to eliminate it is to remove the fittings from head, and block, replace with new clean threads and new line and bend it and re attach. was hoping that the old one would be good, but obviously not, do not object to doing the complete replace, but looking at 30 bucks for something that may or not be needed????
    Last edited by pelago; 04-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.

There is a gentleman somewhere in your neck of the woods, that takes Jeep carbs and completely rebuilds/tunes them. Look up old Jeep Carbs, online.

The oil line I am thinking of goes from the tap on the left side, goes up to the left side rear head. If memory serves me, the oil line feeds to the top end of the head. It is important, so I would definitely fix it.

Ira;

Is this the line you were describing?

GMWillys was right - it supplies oil to the rocker arms at the top of the engine - you gotta have it. As you can see, I rigged a temporary line on the '48. (I kept the original line after the rebuild, but the flare split at the bottom. I tried to save a buck or two...).

I couldn't find it in the catalog, but Mike knows what it is and I have the correct one hanging on the pegboard ready to go on the engine when I change oil in a week or so - when Spring comes back. (I still can't find it in the catalog).

By the time you buy a parts store piece of line, a couple of clamps, a piece of hose and spend an hour or so cutting, deburring and bending a makeshift line, you have spent more time than just getting the nicely bent proper replacement. (Oh yes - if you want to make one - make sure to get English threads on the fittings at both ends, not one metric - one English)
    Attached Images Attached Images