Page 55 of 252 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I agree. We all learn something from your work. I'm not surprised at the amount of views that you have had. Much more to come.

well, back in the "busy stuff mode" at least until more pieces and parts get here, took the distributor off the other motor and damn....... some airhead in one of its previous lives decided he needed to "correct" the dc voltage to distributor

24vdc dist input.jpg

what ya gonna do, some hairball insteaed of thinking it out did this, yeah i can fix it for 100.00 with a new bottom for dist but this nitwit did not do any favors

No wonder you were having issues.

The next time you have the distributor off the other engine, look around on the connector that sends power to the unit. It may have a MIL connector number (such as MS3106C8-1S). A lot of the M38 connectors look like that series. If you get a chance, share that number. There are sources for those connectors, and some are $20 items - but then there are some rare ones that nobody makes or stocks any more.

But, now you have a source to find samples of the screws you are looking for.

looking at that web site and sent them a photo and inquiry. brings up another fact. this guy used the same plug wires to conventional plugs, and the plug wires actually looked good and were in pretty good shape except for the fact that the business end of the wire was cut off and conventional style connectors put on the ends. 260.00 worth of cables fXXXked up.
    brings up another question the coil itself, since this jeep was haphazardly converted to 12 volt (and i have not pulled the coil from the screwed up distributor) what about the coil? 24vdc coild and 12vdc coil same?

The 24vdc coil is unique to the military distributor. I know I have thrown 12 volts at a 6 volt coil for limited amounts of time without issue, but have not put 12 volts to a 24 coil. The results would most likely be a lazy yellow spark at the plugs. I have not seen a coil that could be retrofitted into a 24 volt distributor. All of the conversions that I've seen have been taking a civilian distributor and replacing the mill spec unit.

Here is a good source for all your Douglas connector needs;

https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Wiring_C.htm

chances are the distributor on the spare motor is probably with a 12v coil then,,, thought that that would be the case, but i can get the correct coil

well, here is the next order
    plug wires
    carb rebuild kit
    oil pump rebuild kit
    distributor tune up kit
    should make the motor run as fine as frogs hair........................

and talk about busy work, i took all of the plugs (which by the way arre all different manufacture) no two alike, and tumbled them in my brass media and wow did they come out clean
    SO I BLUED THEM, WHY NOT, NOW THEY LOOK BRAND NEW
    yeah right i am bored and want MY PARTS......................
    Last edited by pelago; 04-24-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Instead of bored, let's call it attention to detail.

BORED!

There is a lot of that going around. Yesterday was a gray, misty rain day that kept the truck in the car barn (a down home term for a garage). For lack of anything else to do, I decided to go ahead and replace that oil line at the rear of the F-134 engine. It turned out to be a one-wrench/no knuckle skin job that took about 10 minutes. That little crook in the line is to clear the rear stud on the exhaust manifold, not #4 plug. If you're working down in the engine compartment, it helps to start at the bottom end and form the line to fit at the top. Now, I'm ...

... BORED again ...

You commented several posts ago about noisy lifters. Mine clack and clatter a bit too, but all of them sound the same. I suspect that we've gotten spoiled by modern valve trains that are a lot quieter than the ones designed 70+ years ago.