Page 56 of 252 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

blued sparklplugs.jpg

blued spark plugs...............man am bored...........
    hey when i was a kid, to clean a carb without spending money on carb cleaner we boiled them in a tablspoon of tide in one of moms pots and pans (never told her that, she would have killed me) guess with a carb as old as i am probably would still work, hey????

If you stack it just right, you can get an oily, funky, gunky, nasty M1 Garand set of wood in the dishwasher. You wait until Momma is gone stopping and run it on pots and pans setting, then run a short cycle to get the grease smell out.o

You can also put a Winchester Model 12 bolt in a pressure cooker to get a high temp wash to clean off 45 years of hardened grease.I

Old sailors and Marines improvise!

As a bachelor, there were many times spent with something torn apart on the kitchen table. I learned those habits from my grandfather. He was notorious for bringing in his chain saw and cleaning it at the kitchen table. He would also remove the dishes from the sink and check tubes for leaks, before vulcanizing a patch. There may have been a time when helping a buddy rebuild his Wide Glide's engine in his living room. I do not recommend baking powder coat in your oven though, it leaves a funk that is hard to get rid of.

Whatever it takes to get the job done.

As far as tappet noise, LarrBeard is correct. Solid tappets will make some noise. With modern hydraulic lifters, that require a preload on them when tightening the rockers down, there is no end gap to make noise with. Some of the Chevy engines would tap a bit at idle, but run some kerosene in with the oil before an oil change, and the passages in the hydraulic lifter would clear out. No more tap.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-25-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Interesting, i have five model 1912's and 7 m1's

gun cabinet 1.jpg

Some of them live here, garands now listed to go to each grandschild
    Last edited by pelago; 04-25-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Regarding Model 12's:

I am not a trap or skeet shooter, but from several friends that are I have heard that trap and skeet shooters have very fancy shotguns and have been known to wager large amounts of money on their ability to hit those little clay Frisbees.

But, one trap shooter told me that if some old guy showed up with a ratty Model 12 and wanted to bet on 23 out of 25, he would put his Beretta over-and-under in the case and run to the car. Never underestimate an old guy with a Model 12.

33" Full choke 1914 by serial number dead *** deadly on long duck shots with 2 3/4 inch shells and running deer on camp lejeune (shotgun only) got some 20gauge that are really sweet

A model 12 is a good running rig. My personal favorite is the Winchester model 59 semi 12 gauge, lightweight long barrel. Grouse and ducks didn't stand a chance. The barrel is fiberglass, with a full choke steel sleeve.

There was a man that was in his late 80s. He carried a well worn 30/30 Winchester. I saw him lob a shot at a deer at about 250 yards, from the hip. We saw him shoot, and he turned around and exclaimed that he got that s.o.b. One guy raised up his field glasses, and he yelled out that he did infact killed the deer. The darned thing dropped where he stood. A long story short, that man had that rifle since he was a child. He knew it inside and out, and what he could do with it. He only had that one weapon, so it was his go to for everything. Last word, he was burried with the rifle when he passed.

fortunate enough to have a few of those including original 73'swinchesters.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 04-28-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Very nice! A lot of people greatly underestimate the old lever actions. I ran with a guy when I was stationed in Arizona who only hunted with the “old west” cartridges. 200 yards was a nothing shot for us with a 44-40 to kill a deer. I don’t think I ever tried to kill anything this far out with a 45-70 but I practiced 400+ yard shots. I put a guy with a 300 mag to shame shooting at a log across the Yukon River one day at Slavens Roadhouse (770 yds according to Google Earth). My eyes are getting bad enough that I no longer trust myself to make good shots with iron sights. I can see the target fine but not the sights.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 04-28-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Corrected location and added shot distance

I admit that I have a love affair with any weapon that has wood furniture. Plastic just doesn't have the right feel. An M14 is a far superior weapon in comparison to an M16. With that being said, the larger bore calibers are fun to shoot regardless of what the rifle is composed of.