Page 65 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

sort of thinking ahead here. got this spare engine?? other than get it going, and that probably would not be all that difficult, but some expense involved. What would you all do for the criteria that says rebuild. compression? all four cylinders within 10% of each other and between 105 and 135lbs?? add oil pressure to the mix ( but that means running??. or just jump in with both feet and start tearing it down?? tearing down not that big a deal, then block and head dipped,??? comments. Now the last engine i rebuilt was a 30hp Kubota,(great motor) and i literally had book in one hand and wrench in other. when i sold the boat the compression was the same as when i launched the rebuild, can not say enough about that kubota engine

If you have compression that is that good, leave it alone. With that being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a minor kit in, fresh bearings, rings, seals, and gaskets. Check the head over, and add hardened seats for running unleaded fuel.

Kubotas are a descent little engine. They will run for hours and hours without problem.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-29-2018 at 06:18 AM.

it is a great little motor here it is after rebuild running on a homemade platform on sawhorsesRUNNING.jpgrunning-1.jpg

There is an outfit that makes conversion kits for putting a Kubota plant in a Willys.

https://www.overlanddiesel.com/conversion_kits.html

There are some good discussions and articles on diesel conversions elsewhere on the internet. I want a diesel in my CJ3A but it isn't cheap.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

You may be able to find a take out engine from a trucking company that runs refrigerated trailers. The refer units are run by mainly Kubota engines. With the environmental laws changing, these companies are changing over to tier 4 emission rated engines. The old engines may have hours on them, but are usually well maintained. If you have the room, and can have it moved, you may be able to get the whole trailer cheap.

Even with a used refer engine it appears to be a several thousand dollar mod. Each major component 3(?) will cost more than $1000 each. Could maybe do without a turbo. To me it looks like engines are being snatched up for equipment so there is competition driving the cost up.

Good idea on the whole trailer. Might be cheaper than buying just the engine. I have room and could use the extra storage.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 05-31-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

i dont think that there is a easier engine to rebuild than the kubota they produced a manual that is impossible to make a mistake, detailed photos of each and every step and a great parts manual to go with it. engine even has replaceable mainsON TEST.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 06-02-2018 at 02:25 PM.

The kubotas are pretty straight forward, and bullet proof. All the units that we had, I can only think of one engine that had a failed head gasket. The engine was working well, but was leaking coolant out the side. A couple of hours, and good as new.

GOT TO SAYT THIS, THERE IS ONE DAMN THING THAT IS SURE LIKE ABOUT THESE OLD JEEPS,,,,,,,, Dont need any damn metric, nothing worse than crawling under something and finding out that what looked like a 9/16 was in fact 14mm I HATE THAT