Page 69 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I see the whole picture now. I learned that it can be done through the inspection port, if need be.

Use the hoist. I would be lost without mine.

it is in1 thru inspection port but I TURNED THE TRANSMISSION 90 DEGREES CLOCKWISE THAT MADE PUTTING THE FORK IN AT A STRAIGHT RUN, once in connected cable and kept some tension on cable at the transmission, have to reconnect all the brake and clutch crap again

well, all the parts and pieces in, xfer case mounted. checked all bolts for tight. started it up. ran for a hour and no puddles on the concrete....no gear lube visible inside inspection port at all, all nice and white. now to wait and see in couple of hours any thing under it

three hours later.. had one small drip like old 3penny about size of cue tip. but that might have been residual making its way out, i did not clean the block nor the bell housing, but prior to this would have seen a 1/4 saucer full of 90wt. no oil either, i replaced one of the hoses to the oil filter it was defective and leaked, it and the other hose to filter are dry. But damn if i dont have a spot under the master cylinder, one of the output lines leaks. i think i will have to break down and get some crush washers for the brake lines. but all in all am happy, and damn if i dont lie to go out and just start her up and listen. IT IS WHAT IT IS.................
    Last edited by pelago; 06-16-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Good deal. Glad everything went together we'll, and is performing to your satisfaction.

new question, gear box, have two of them, and believe can rescue enough pieces and parts to rebuild one for steering.
    what weight lube in the box, both of the ones i have it seem filled with grease and what a mess, grease all over but not on what needed lube and how do you determine the shimns?? one had one the other two??

Take note of which steering box takes which number of shims. That will help to set the preload on the sector input. If the play seems proper, then don't change the amount of shims. Check the adjustment of the sector adjustment screw for proper adjustment as well. This will give you an idea of the condition of the gear box before teardown. The grease was put into the box(s) because the seals went out, and leaked gear lube out. Grease works OK, but does become a mess, and becomes stiff as it dries up. Gear lube is the best, because it gets into all the working parts of the gearbox. A new set of seals will keep the gear lube in where it should be.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=195761

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsILb3-O4AY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0aNkZhlDxc

wow, but he never said the number to order the lube, he just said he used thinner, but thinner what? the forums got a bit confusing all the people that said put grease then 90wt??
    i did get the permetex anerobic gasket maker 51813, never heard of it, but have now

Yep, 90W140/GL4 gear lube - the same as elsewhere.

The bolts that hold the cover on the steering gear box are backed up by copper crush washers that deform into the hole to act as a gasket around the bolt stem. It took two tries to get it right on the '48, but in three summers there is just a sheen of oil around the seam of the box and cover. With good seals and a good shaft, gear oil will stay in there.

Here is a note from one of the many posts about this subject:

"Note that the upper ball bearings are just at the upper lube level and in order to get the lube to flow to the upper level it should be GO (gear oil)".

JUST DONT GET IT!!
    I put 90W140/GL4 gear lube in search engine and get everything but what i want, did get a purex product description but not where to buy it or even how much it costs
    damn

apparently Kaiser does not sell a gasket for this critter and they (Kaiser) said had to make a new paper gasket. what about thickness I have some gasket material but it is kinda thick and since this has a adjustment for the arm, just might think that mine might be a bit thick. what say you?
    Last edited by pelago; 06-18-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Pelago,

At one time were you looking for the outside steering shaft tube? If so, I found a new one for $20. when I was looking up the gaskets.

The three bolt cover where the sector shaft tensioner is located, (stud with the allen screw end, and jam nut) doesn't matter how thick the gasket material is, because the adjuster takes up any adjustment needed. The anaerobic sealant is good stuff. Caterpillar uses if on their front covers on most all their bigger diesel engines, with no gasket at all. Not too many issues of leaks, unless the bolts are removed, and the seal between the two surfaces are broken.

https://quartertonparts.com/product-category/steering/

https://quartertonparts.com/product/...asket-8329725/

The GL4 Sta-Lube that you purchased at Napa will do just fine. In the Forum, they were referring to greasing the sector when assembling the gearbox. A film of grease will not bother anything, then top the steering box off with the gear lube. Thinner oil would be for those folks that want to be able to steer their Heeps in below freezing weather.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-18-2018 at 01:43 PM.