Page 71 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The horn adapter just gives a path for the wire through, and out of the steering box. The wire runs up the steering shaft to the horn button in the steering wheel. ??
    was referring to the mechanical horn system long steel rod connects to switch at bottom all way thru steering shaft

You are correct. The earlier CJs had a wire, and not a mechanical rod. I should have looked to ensure that I was correct before clouding up the water.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...ewtopic&t=8298

Same could be said about the pitman arm installation. It is best to mark the sector shaft and the pitman arm to ensure that everything lines up perfect.

I'll have my crow now.

well i have two of them and one thing in common is that both of them have a groove cut in the top on both of them and suppose that lines up when putting back together, cut into the top of the arm and the base where it inserts and when lined up the arm is in the middle.
    also to note, i do have two and they had one thing in common, both packed with grease, and the narrative said DO NOT USE GREASE and yes the grease was just sort of pushed out of the way. he said 140wt go,,,, man thats tough. and then said contact him, well tried to get thru the google stuff and failed, cant contact him, he said he had it

Crow, properly served and eaten, is a nourishing meal for one's character. I know this for a fact because I've had to eat it a number of times.

Gulp.....

I've learned to like crow, having to dine on it often as well.

You can use the Sta-Lube 140W gear lube from NAPA, they show a gallon, but may have a quart or liter.

one curiosity is that there is only one seal,,, would think that thee would be more, sure no pump just rotating the steering wheel and thick lube but still only one seal?

Two seals. A sector shaft seal, and the input worm shaft seal, p/n 808414. It fits under the triangular cap. True, the likely hood of the thick lube of leaking out the top seal is small.

when taking apart the bad shaft i felt it was pretty rusted, probably due to the fact it live in rain for years but wonder if maybe some paint on the parts that are not in contact with bearings?? and sure glad i retained the snap rings, they do not seem to be part of new bearings??

A. I'd paint the shaft. If it stands still, paint it - an old Navy doctrine. Paint never hurt anything but a fiberglass radome cover. (Once upon a time this bosun's mate .... ). As you can maybe tell, I didn't paint my steering shaft - but it's in a cab and won't be exposed to weather.

On the '48 truck, all of the shifter stuff at the bottom was gone - so even that column assembly from the Jeep guy in Toledo was an improvement.

B. Bearing sets include a race/cup and a set of little steel balls. Put some grease in the race to keep those lil' suckers from escaping while you're working with them. They roll really fast!
    Attached Images Attached Images

got some assembly lube..................... it will dissolve in GO