Page 73 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    That will be an easy fix. Just look at the yoke's sealing surface for any grooves worn into the sealing surface. If no grooves or pits are seen, put you a new seal in, and you'll be good to go. Make sure that none of the gear lube got on the parking brake shoes. If it did, clean well with brake cleaner. If it was the service brakes, then they would have to be replaced, because you can never fully get the lube out of the shoe linings.

You'll get to the body soon enough. Once you do, and get the hang of rust repair, it will all come together fairly quickly. You will be painting by fall.
    Transfer - Exploded.jpgtransfer case.jpg

are we talking about item Nr 1 in larger photo?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............. ...........

putting it down for a while before i get mad at it and hurt it

Number one would be the culprit if it is grooved where the seal rides. Had to order a couple of yokes for mine. I read somewhere there is a ready sleeve (or redi-sleeve?) kit available to do a repair if desired but I don’t have specific info for that.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Speedy sleeve, is what we always called it. On heavy dirt equipment, a lot of the crank shaft front seals would get grooved up with dirt intrusion. The speedy sleeves work well. The sleeve bonds to the crank surface, and the seal rides on the sleeve.

Gear box almost assembled...
    Have the center rod that trips the switch, then the cap/race then the spring then the piece the screws into the rod, then the cap...
    Aint no way that i can figure out how to get that cap on top of the tubing??? Not unless i destroy it.. Darned camera somehow does not want to send photos to my email so i can save em and post here

found out why the top bearing will not go in and catch, it is our of round and not sure if i want to try and repair?? called mike they are sending another under warranty. good place
    Last edited by pelago; 07-06-2018 at 04:36 PM.

DRAG LINK.jpg

this is rather interesting, wonder why one end assembled different from other end

That is a good question. I've never noticed a difference in the parts when removing them. I don't think I've ever seen two item 'C' on one end. Ponderous.

happen to have two of them only taken one apart. pretty ucky, however it was like the diagram. so guess it is correct,. but, seems to stupid old me just more parts to have to stock somewhere where same parts on either end would work fine(but maybe they dont work fine and someone found that out) so, i re assembled it according to diagram and will put on soon. The rebuild kit i got is complete with all new pieces and parts, with exception of grease fittings

Grease zerks are easy to come by. Napa should have all that you need.

I can say I learned something today, about the drag link.