Page 83 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

this is rather curious, i have two air cleaners similar but not identical. both are from a M38A1 different years '52' 53 one has two air vent lines to go to vacuum pump with one of the holes in the top portion and the other hole in the bottom section of the cleaner. now the other cleaner has two holes also but they are side by side in the bottom section???air cleaner 3.jpgair cleaner 2.jpgaircleaner.jpg

why would there be two vacuum lines anyway, especially the black cleaner and they are side by side?? actually cleaned both of them up, blasted them then painted with the rust over treatment, then primer then paint, going to offer the black one for sale as soon as i get the parts together that i want to sell
    Last edited by pelago; 08-23-2018 at 08:39 PM.

here is a block diagram,,, not the best quality butmy printer decided it did not want to scan anymore so this is a photo
    comments,,, the original submarine m38a1 is a nightmare of plumbing for the vents and i think is reduced it to what is really needed

block diagram.jpg

As long as you are not planning any submarine action, the bell housing will not need to be induced into the vacuum system. Matter of fact, the master cylinder vent tube is a pain in the rear. To get in there to pull the vent tube, then pull the cap off the reservoir, then get it all back together will help you find religion. Napa should have bronze breather vents that will screw in place of the fittings. This will keep crud and bugs out while allowing the brakes to work. Here is a quick search of the internet on the breathers;

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&ul_noapp=true

The air cleaner on the right, (green) is an M151 air cleaner. The black is the correct unit for your project.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=184160
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-24-2018 at 12:43 PM.

damn?? the green one was bolted to the firewall of the m38a1?? thought they went together?, and when i did a search at kaiser i asked for a M38A1 air cleaner and the green one came up?? well it was practice cleaning it up. and it just so happens i have a extra master cylinder that has a solid (SOLID NON VENTED CAP) GUESS WHERE ITS GOING???

By any chance, do the caps interchange?

Of course not .....

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    By any chance, do the caps interchange?

Of course not .....

as a matter of fact they did and the master cylinder now has a unvented cap

another air cleaner question, in my lifetime i doubt if i will be driving across dusty desserts, fording streams on Guadalcanal, evacuating from Inchon, o running up to the big PX on hill 327. So would one think that the 6" of clean stainless steel (wool) be enough for the air cleaner to provide clean air for the carb? putting oil in the bottom of the reservoir can be a messy proposition, am just thinking of not putting oil in there

I liked LarryBeards idea of soaking foam with oil to catch what little dirt may pass through the steel wool. It has been stated that the steel wool was good for stopping low flying birds.

When I saw the pictures of your air cleaners, it took me a few seconds to realize what it went to. The early models of M151 had the flat top air cleaner, while the later models had a rib formed around the top. I'll look and see what Kaiser's is offering.

another interesting item, the drag link. i have two of them, and i cleaned up one quite well, and i noticed on cleaning the secoond one for reference that they both had broken springs on them and they were both broken on the pittman side closer to the gear box. wonder if they were too tight? and the repair kit comes with new springs and one side will not be a issue but the front end one. five men and a little boy could not compress that spring and the way it is set up it has to bottom spring with curved piece in the spring, ball, then top end tightened down, here is the rub getting spring that curved piece and the damn arm in there at one time is going to try patience

I can not remember having any with a broken spring. I know that this item is seldom greased, but the springs were usually good to go upon reassembly. Being that I had not replaced the springs, I will have to do some research to see if others have had the same issue as you are seeing. The following videos should head you in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWZjZyVJGqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSSnxgeSh0
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-28-2018 at 01:15 PM.