Page 84 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

DRAG LINK.jpg springs i got in rebuild kit seem much longer than the ones i took out?

That could be the reason it won't go back together. As I looked at Yoo Toob videos, none of then needed five men and a waterboy to put it back together - and I don't recall that it was any big deal on the '48 either.....

NEW VOLTAGE REGULATOR ON ITS WAY expected arrival date 6 sep brush up on polarization again

Proper Polarization Prevents Pretty Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    NEW VOLTAGE REGULATOR ON ITS WAY expected arrival date 6 sep brush up on polarization again
    Did you get a relay or solid state unit?

We're a lot smarter about Type A and Type B generators and regulators than we were a couple of months ago. Let me look at Type A vs Type B to be sure I've given you good info. Your generator field coils are polarized, so there is probably no need to zap
    the regulator, but let me look.

Good to hear from you again.

I looked and poked around at all of the places I could think of.

Polarizing (flashing the field, full fielding - or whatever else it might be called) really only applies to generators, not the voltage regulator itself. Now, the process is often done at the voltage regulator terminals because all of the connections you need are right there, but it is a process for the generator, not the regulator.

The only reference I found about polarizing the regulator concerned a positive ground Ford tractor. We don't have to concern ourselves about that; all M38's are negative ground.

We know that your generator is properly polarized - it's not putting out -24 volts. It hasn't been sitting long enough to lose residual magnetism in the generator pole pieces. Rather than fish around in those connectors, I would just hook things up and light it off!

I think you're good to go.

Knew was in for a better day, made eggs this am and had two double yoke eggs in a row.....
    success Then USPS delivered new regulator, put it in and a little over 29 volts at the battery
    DSC02140.jpgDSC02144.jpgDSC02142.jpgDSC02138.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 09-01-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Yeee - Hawwwww

Chalk up one for the old guys for a change!

Hey - take the day off on Monday.

Oops, we're retired - every day is a day off .....

putting my little boat in the water, and see if something wants to get into frying pan, have a 14' alumacraft with 15hp merc 4 stroke, goes like a bat outta hell, and have a trolling motor. wth right?

Good deal! You were destin for greatness today. Good luck on your fishing trip, hope your luck continues!

caught some speckled trout... 1/2 dozen kept 2 released the others. only keep what i am eating tonight. 15" perfect for frying pan, some baked beans, canned potatoes, and corn bread. regular shore lunch....

but did manage to get the steering box on and gonna wing it with the drag link, the instructions are confusing one picture has spring and curved piece in first then pitman arm and that dont work. so gonna put the bottom in and then the pitman and then the other curved piece then the spring...... then figure out the other end.. oh yeah need three bolts the ones i had look kinda bad so the thing is in there butnot tight enable to replace bolts and lock washers with new ones