Page 85 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The steering box mount bolts are in my opinion are mandatory replacement items. Often on rust belt heeps, the bolts mic out thinner than the were originally in the center. Good insurance well spent.... Good enough for moving the frame around for you to be able to put the body in to start the body work.

Shore lunch is the best by far for fresh fish. Glad you had a good day out on the water.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-02-2018 at 08:46 PM.

EVERYTHING ON THIS PART OF RESTORATION IS NOW DONE, Steering in, had a small leak because did not have the lower seal low enough, moved it and all done, now to roll it out and start on the body

Now the fun begins, and my area of greater experience. I've been looking forward for you to get to this point.

question, passenger side floor bad, and part of ext fender bad and so is the backing on the passenger side bad and tool box. better to work from inside to out or outside to in. floor and such out or fender and such in?

I found that if the body and cowl is fairly intact, then start with the floor and work your way out. The tool box can be left in, as long as the top section is solid enough to keep the body side from flexing. Once the floor is in, then I took a replacement panel for the front of the tool box. It was a little bit difficult to get the tool box front in after the floor, but the reproduction piece needed a fair amount of trimming and tweaking. The floor kept everything in check. One thing I did learn while welding in the floor, limit heat exposure length to the curves of the body. As you can see from the picture, the floor pulled up at the curve from too much heat. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but being inside the tool box, it took some doing to straighten out the floor after the body was put back on a frame. Stick with moving around a lot when stitching the metal together.

Take the most solid factory point, and work off that. On the one I worked, the whole driver's side was Swiss cheese at best. The center line was good and solid, so I worked the center line outward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.

ORDERING FIRST FLOOR PANEL and since i have no idea what to remove have to wait til it gets here to see how much has to go, lots of holes, lots. all on passenger side. once i get it in will lay it on top of floor and run a marker around the periphery to identify and cut a inch inside the mark (i think)

The replacement sheet metal may need to be trimmed to fit your needs. I remember the passenger side being right on the money as far as the size of the floor board. It was the only floor piece that was purchased new, except for the fuel tank well. The driver's side was a recycled floor out of another A1 that was rotten on the right side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-05-2018 at 05:55 AM.

got my work cut out for me lots of panels to replace

I have kept a very accurate log and journal of repair costs, even as small as $3.00 for bolts, small charges for hose clamps, fittings for fuel etc.. and this figure also has the rental for the trailer to get one of the hulks. and includes the original cost of the hulks that i got
    total outlay to date $6247.00 the original cost was $1400.00 for the two of them and this is over 2 1/2 years, been some posts about how much does it cost, well here is what i have spent. I am confident in the repairs to the frame and the workings of the suspension and the brakes, hell they are all new, fuel pump, rebuilt distributor, new voltage regulator all new exhaust. As far as I am concerned this vehicle now at this stage is as restored as it can be. and could be inserted into the assembly line for a new body to put on if it were 1952