Page 9 of 252 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I've been at Camp Perry every year since 1998, but I generally shoot CMP week. I don't think I was there for your exit, but I've heard it so many times I almost believe I was.

"There was this one time at Camp Perry when...".

A piece of shrapnel working its way around if I remember parts of the story?

what was even funnier was when they finally let me out and i got to shoot the 600 last relay in paper clothes, damn nurses cut all my clothes off before i could get a word out

Waiting on parts. slow day, but just did some busy work, bead blasted exterior of oil filter tank, oil fill tube fan. all primed and waiting for paint. Neighbor's father used to have a garage and he loaned me a welder, bead blast cabinet, and engine hoist (grin) oh yeah just for the hell of it, i took a toothpick and some silver paint and painted the timing marks on the front pulley (both motors have a oil filter and both are painted dull red?) dont remember that, but wth. think i will paint those things caterpiller yellow.... why not?

Will have enough saved up to buy complete suspension package from Kaiser Willys 1 Oct, all new stuff then tires and i can roll it around

torque specs?? With the exception of the diesel in my sailboat , the last time i turned a wrench was in 1962 on my souped up 35 ford pick up, had a 53 ford with 3 2-s, eidelbock heads, dual mallory ignition, headman headers. in its day was pretty hot. but dam that was a long time (real long time) now i have the tech manual, and believe me it is not real good nightime reading. No, have not read it cover to cover. Now No where can i find torque specs, am kind of uncomfortable just hanging parts on the engine without torquing. All mr google does is give me torque specs for modern motors. suggestions or what model (todays type) would be close
    Last edited by pelago; 08-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.

In the shop manual for the 54-60 series Jeeps (which is typical of most books) torque specs are found in the "D" and "E" sections in the engine reassembly section. (The E section is for the F-head engine).

Most steps have specific values in ft-pounds, but there are places that call out "securely".

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/media/c...27_popup_1.jpg

1678_1527_popup_1.jpg
    iTS funny,, but i seem to have forgotten the basic rule of maintenance in military, and that is "echelon of maintenance" 1st snf 2nd echelon is basically dusting the thing off. but highte echelons turn wrenches. I had a young 2nd lt check into 10th Marines as a proposed comm officer, and all he ever said was "have the troops do 1st echelon maintenance. I asked him quietly once if he ever had in fact done any 1st echelon maintenance? he said no. I asked him to meet me at the motor pool on saturday, to wear old clothes. He did and I had him do 1st echelon mainenance "by the book" on a MRC110 radio jeep (M151 full of radios). had him take each wheel off, clean lug nut studs, and putr on small layer of grease on each one, remove batteries (both) and clean connectors and battery posts, Oil. Water, clean all contacts with pencil eraser. Real exciting stuff, but it took all day for him to do it. But it gave him an insight on just how boring and mundane doing the same thing to the same radio each and every day was. Training schedule got changed a bit, yeah we did 1st echelon but the training got more intense as practical applications and setting up radios for actual comm was included in training. Not many more days of 1st ech maintenance all day long. The book i have only covers 1st ech, and i was not smart enough to catch that. new manual ordered

If I remember correctly, the MRC-110 had an ARC-51 UHF radio in it to talk to airplanes. In my other life, I was on the team that replaced the vacuum-tube ARC-51 with an ARC-164. The ARC-51 was mounted in what looked a lot like a breadbox or safe.

AN/MRC 110 had two rt 246 and two r 442 receiver, it was a radio relay jeep. bad part about it was it was usually deployed in some remote part of battlefield high up and used as a repeater for weaker radios transmit on one freq and receive another. pretty effective to boost vhf radios over wide area. BUT YOUR *** WAS ALWAYS HANGING OUT AND YOU HAD THIS BIG SIGN THAT SAID SHOOT ME I GOT RADIOS. and they did

Ah yes, the basic VRC-12 package with aux receiver. VRC-12's were built by the zillions at MEMCOR in Huntington, Indiana - one of the places I worked for about 4 months. Magnavox in Fort Wayne built a bunch as well - we had bits and pieces all over the place for years afterwards.

well, i fixed em, then when i got rockers on sleeve under chevrons i taught, then was Bn maint chief, then regt maint chief. then a division inspector, for field analysis system management. I even designed a antenna for the 442 that was adopted and i got a 4400.00 check from beneficial suggestion program. was a pretty good tough radio, that and the old prc 77. i started out carrying a prc10, then 25 in vietnam. My company commander called me into his tent and said "i understand yo have a ham radio license" I said "yessir" he said "why didnt you tell someone?" I said "No one asked".. after a long silence He said "you are now my radio operator" I said "oh ****"