Page 99 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The fuel tank well was worth the money paid. There are a lot of ridges that are tough to replicate. Shopping around pays dividends, but I'm cheap. I hate spending too much on just about everything.

i also am a cheap sob, but just dont have the skills to fabricate, and the gas tank recess is pretty bad, and looks like a straight forward job to remove and replace (more spot welds)

The fuel tank well is the easiest piece od sheet metal to replace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

like the pictures, good example to follow................

004.jpg002.jpggas1.jpggas3.jpggas2.jpg

This literally took all day to get out, man the spot welds all over the place, and at same time was able to remove the entire front lip of the back deck area, so that removing the rest a bit easier, now to tackle the right rear fender well, more damn spot welds, sure wish i knew what the hell i was doing

Looks good to me. You are not giving yourself enough credit. Do you have a chunk of copper to place in back of where you are going to weld? If not, I have an extra piece you can have.

That's cleaning up nicely. Looks like you are doing all the right things.

not sure i understand the copper??, after selective sand blasting then comes welding? but do not understand the copper or why

The chunk of copper acts as a heat distributor, plus the weld won't stick to it. If you have to fill a hole, place the copper behind the hole, and weld away. The copper will help your welds look like a professional welded them.

ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ". If you have to fill a hole, place the copper behind the hole, and weld away. The copper will help your welds look like a professional welded them. " lots of little holes to fill!!!.. it is too bad there is no way to get a history of these things, history as is who owned it and what did they do with it. Five different colors of paint. Olive, red, yellow, black and then a bilious color of blue?? yellow forest fire stuff?? green USA? red, fire again?? black, have no idea, but the blue almost metal flake?? no one absolutely no one sanded anything just slapped paint on it, dirt, grime, grease, mud hell they just painted over it. might have helped some to keep rust down, hell if i know. all i know is when this rolls down drive it will be primer over sandblasted metal in the white and olive
    Last edited by pelago; 11-18-2018 at 07:54 PM.