Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 1960 Willys Truck 6-230

Finding time is difficult Dave, but it doesn't have to be done tomorrow. Organized for the cab to go off to the resto shop today, figured I would just throw some $'s towards that part of the project. I am having difficulty in choosing a colour to paint the Cab ???? any ideas ??
    Last edited by Ashley; 11-25-2013 at 06:00 AM.

g`day Ashley.
    i haven`t made a lot of progress on mine for a while. have the chassis completly stripped and chemical cleaned at a local galvanizing joint. coated it in rust converter and back in the shed but thats about it. been busy with work and trying to extend my shed to give myself more dry storage.
    i have also been talking with a paint/panel guy in Bundaberg who is keen to have a go at the cab. i was going to try and do it myself but i doubt i will ever have the time to finish it and i am wanting a good quality finish so might farm out that part of the build to someone that knows what their doing.

i think i will do mine in dark green with pale cream/off white ? roof and door recesses. and a dressed timber tray .

kind of similar colour scheme to this one in the thread below but darker green and no chrome side strip.

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/...ame-off/page22

Dave I found a Jeep on the net that was a Grenade Green Metallic that looked pretty good. It is a stock 2006 Hummer H-3 color and quiet subtle with a metallic lift. Taking the cab around to a local Auto restorer on Tuesday so the process will begin to move along a bit.

gave the speedo a bit of a tidy up today, I reckon I will use the old one.photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg

34637330b2a69c9eb0f8ede375ba5e5e[1].jpg This would be a good replacement for the old cable type hand brake, this plums into the rear brake line.
    Last edited by Ashley; 01-01-2014 at 09:12 PM.

g`day Ashley
    speedo looks pretty tidy . that is a flash looking hand brake setup.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg Thrilled to pick up my engine, now I cant wait to bolt this sucker in. Can hear it already.
    Yes Dave that hand break set up would be good, not sure if it would pass rego ?
    Last edited by Ashley; 01-23-2014 at 04:18 AM.

has come up looking good mate. your a long way infront of me with your build.

what was the condition like of the water pump and alloy timing cover ? much corrosion ?

Dave we had two water pumps to choose from so we were lucky that one was in good shape.The timing cover had some corrosion on the water pipe outlet / inlet but was repairable. The engine has a re-bore and oversized to plus 006, new piston and rings and bearings, all new welsh plugs, Head reface, valve grind and valves, New Clutch asembley. Overhauled the starter and generator. About as good a repair as you could achieve I reckon with the limited amount of parts available, a lot of web searching to source all the bits. If it was a 226 engine there seems to be **** loads of parts for that engine.
    The second engine I have has a lot of good parts on it if you run into problems rebuilding yours Dave, only serious damage was a scoured bore from a broken piston. I think your engine is still running, so I don't believe you will have too much problem.
    Last edited by Ashley; 01-23-2014 at 06:26 PM.

thanks for the offer Ashley. yep, my engine is a good runner and is supposedly been rebuilt not that long ago (as in km) . the water pump is a bit corroded where the hoses go on but i have a spare non running engine that the alloy looks ok on. i was given the spare engine about 20 years ago and it had been sitting for many years before that so it hasnt had much water in the cooling system to corrode it. sadly it has spent most of that time sitting outside with just a sheet of tin over it when it was lucky and no carby so i dont think the internals will be very healthy.

your right about the scarcity of parts for the 6/230.