Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 Willys Truck 6-230

i am only guessing that mine might be a `62 build, but it could even be a `63. ??
    going by the serial number it should be the 455th 6-230 cab chassis out of Toledo. i think have seen somewhere the build numbers for america but i cant find it right now. looking at the id plates and the numbers i think that the number on the black plate will be the number as they came from the toledo factory and the blue australian plate will be the assembly number as they were put together in brisbane.

that would make mine the 455th out of Toledo and the 24th out of Brisbane.
    yours would be the 1298th out of Toledo and the 106th out of Brisbane.

I am surprised at the condition of mine, it has 69,000 miles on the clock ( if that is to be believed ) so it would stack up being of a newer vintage. Can you tell me a bit about the engine ? I would like to overhaul it, maybe it is still good.I have a complete gasket kit so will be able to cure all of the oil leaks.

i`m afraid i`m not an expert on the 6-230 engine. only what i have read on the net and i have bought a willys truck workshop manual and parts list with a special suplement for the 6-230 engine which i havent read much of yet.

there are to versions apparently , a standard version with a single barrel carby or a higher horse power rated engine with a 350cfm 2 barrel holley carby. mine has the holley.

there is a note in the parts book that refers to the engine number and an extra letter at the end of some engine numbers.
    if there is a "A" at the end of the number then it had .010" undersize rod and main bearings.
    "B" = .010" oversize pistons
    "AB" = .010" undersize bearings and .010" oversize pistons.

the bottom end of the engine is suposed to be much the same as the 6-226 but i`m not sure what parts are interchangable.

i haven`t checked my engine number yet .
    if the story was right mine was suposed to have had a $4000 engine rebuild by the second last owner. it does look as if its been apart not too long ago. i had to clean the carby and it has new gasgets etc. the old guy who had it before me was going to make a camper out of it but he got sick and passed away. i bought it from his familly who said there was reciepts for the engine work but they could not find them.

Things are moving along, cab has been taken off. ( Can I just say we had 5 blokes when lifting it off and could have use a couple more...heavy )photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpg some photos of the engine components and chassis, getting down to where I can get the chassis away for sand blasting and powder coating.

your getting stuck into it. i hope that mine looks that clean when i get it apart. i wonder what the original engine colour was, mine is painted black, i have also seen pics of afew that are painted like a chevy red.
    is that a pto drive hanging off the back of the gearbox ? did it come with a winch.

.... ps..... i like your other toy sitting in the shed there . you could have used that to lift the cab off.

another ... ps.... i have remembered something else thats different between our old `60 model 6-226 and my 6-230, the door locks. the internal door locks on 6-226 were activated by pushing the door handle opposite to opening and the 6-230 has seperate lock knobs in the door near the rear top corner of the door trim.
    Last edited by dave351cid; 06-10-2012 at 08:26 AM.

The thing hanging off the end of the transfer case is an Overdrive, which I reckon will be a good asset when its back up and going. This engine appears to be like a ford blue, I reckon it might be Chevy red when it goes back in. Going to remove the Engine, Gearbox etc today, have a relative up in NSW who is going to Overhaul it all for me. Look at doing a road trip in the next few weeks to deliver it.
    .....Yes I have 4 of those toys in the shed at the moment...aerial spraying is my line of business.
    Regarding door locks...mine has little locking knobs where you said they were.
    Last edited by Ashley; 06-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

overdrive will be a nice bonus. that was my first thought then changed my mind. i was too lazy to have a look in my books to check for myself. lol.

do you have contacts for parts for the 6-230 ? there is a mob in Turkey (the country) that sells a fair bit of new old stock parts. i found them on evil bay. seem ok to deal with and have some parts that the american reproduction sites dont list.

hmmm... your job sounds more exciting then building powerlines (but i imagine it could be a lot more stressfull).. i would love to own a chopper.

No I don't have many contacts regarding the engine, I am hoping to restore with minimal internal bits as it hasn't done many miles and the rest of the jeep is in such good condition. Will be emailing Kaiser Willy for any thing I need and then go from there.

g`day ashley. i sent you a pm.

A few more photo's and a bit of an update on the progressphoto (7).jpgphoto (8).jpgphoto (6).jpg photo (5).jpg I reckon I am getting close to being at the bottom of the hole.....Climbing back out being uphill is going to be the true test of dedication.