Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 Willys Truck 6-230

Does any one know what the origional colour was of the chasis and running gear on the Truck ??

sorry i cant help much with the colours. my chassis is that natural aged iron oxide crossed with dried mud colour. dont think they came from the factory like that though. engine block is black but i dont think that is original paint either.

have you seen this one on evil bay ? same colour as yours.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1963-Will...item231ffee58f

Going to the sandblaster this week and it's going to be Black. No I didn't see that one on evil bay, but I did purchase another 1963 model with T-230 engine, I am going to use what parts I need to make one good one and then offer surplus parts for sale. If you need any thing when your doing yours Dave just let me know and I might be able to help out with bits.

goodo. i think black would be a pretty save bet for the chassis. it would proberly look odd any other colour.

i have been finishing off a lot of little odd jobs that have been hanging around the place and will very soon be starting to get into my old rig.
    i will keep you in mind if i need any bits, thanks.

love the grill gaurd! good luck

ch1.jpgch2.jpgch3.jpg Well its back and it's time to get to work, need to ream out the new shackle bushes so that the springs can be re-fitted. Original springs have been away at the local spring re-conditioners and look good.

looking good mate.
    what kind of paint have you used on the chassis?

Frame looks good. I noticed the front cross member looks like it has been modified. Was that something you did or did it come like that? Also noticed that your engine mounts look different then mine. Are those something you fabricated?

I reckon they took a gas axe to the front cross member when they fitted the 6-230 Tornado engine, the second truck I have that is being used for spares is the same.It was a pretty rough cut out, we took a little time with a grinder and welder to make it look better prior to Painting. Dave the chassis has been painted with a Matt black and was done at the sand blasters, was thinking about a powder coat but in the end I figure it will only get scratched so took the cheep option. When we pulled the engine down out of this truck we discovered a broken piston that had done some serious damage to the bore of the block. I am about to pull the spare one down so I hope lightening doesn't strike in the same place twice. My mechanic cousin has finished overhauling the Gearbox, Transfer box and over drive, and looking forward to hopefully ending up with a serviceable 6-230 to bolt it all back up to.

sad about the busted piston mate. can you tell if it was still standard bore size.
    i will have to take a look at my ild girl and see if the front cross member is moded the same way. i dont think that attention to the finer detail was top of the priority list when they made these trucks. does your chassis have reinforcing plates welded to the outside just behind the cab? all the ones i have looked at have them and they all look like they were done in someones backyard. the finish is pretty agricultral, lol.

i have finaly made a start on mine, got the tray off and chassis pretty well stripped behind the cab. will have to put some pics up soon.