Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 Willys Truck 6-230

It looks nice simple and clean. I like how he did the fan blades red. I think I would have tried to dress it up more with red accents but I wouldnt have done the engine red. I think light, sky blue, baby blue whatever color you want to call it is pretty classy especially with the white. I think you would be safe with a blue engine as well no matter what the shade. Mine will be a dark charcoal grey with the baby blue accents and off white interior. Its going to look sick at least it will if it comes out like I imagine it in my head. I'm a long ways away from that though.

Ash I found this on the blog. Might give you some insight. Its what I envision your truck looking like in the near future.

http://blog.kaiserwillys.com/willys-...os/bill-vinson
    http://blog.kaiserwillys.com/willys-...os/bill-vinson

i cant be 100% that its original, but mine has remains of black paint on the engine block.

I couldnt find any paint chips or color codes or anything pertaining to engine color. I know you are not sure what color you want but if it were me I would go with the stock color on the engine especially with the color scheme you are choosing. I think it would look nice and you can match the orininal if you or your paint shop does that type of work.

Will go with something like you said a light blue, our helicopter engines come out of the OH shop done in a grey and they always look good and clean. A polished rocker hat and a few high lighted bits should make it pretty neat. We will open up the second engine in a couple of weeks so should know if we have a viable engine option.

Man I can't wait to see how it turns out. After reading your previous posts about Aussie Willys I wondered about mine. The frame is set up for brakes and steering linkage on both sides which is kind of odd for an American vehicle. Got some more things to research.

Mate its an interesting journey doing the jeep, you learn so much about the old rig and some of the people you meet have got stories as well. The old guy who put my Diffs back together whipped out an old photo album of when he was a kid and his Dad had a Willys wagon for the family car. When the engine quit they modified it with a Chrysler slant 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Mate its an interesting journey doing the jeep, you learn so much about the old rig and some of the people you meet have got stories as well. The old guy who put my Diffs back together whipped out an old photo album of when he was a kid and his Dad had a Willys wagon for the family car. When the engine quit they modified it with a Chrysler slant 6.
    Ash, you are so right. Its kind of cool doing some of the investigating on a particular vehicle and actually getting the stories behind the vehicle. Speaking of which do you know if there is a special annotation for Aussie vehicles on the VIN?

Cal if you go back a bit I posted a couple of photos of the data plates and there is an additional one put there by Willys Australia ( Blue in colour ) with the ID and number of the vehicle. I found in some other research I did that there was only about 308 Willys trucks built by Willys Australia with the 6-230 designation.

That bit of info I got.........
    According to the CJ3B Page Website your '60 Willys pickup may have been produced by Willys Motors Australia Pty. Ltd. in Brisbane.

Although Willys Jeeps had been assembled and sold in Australia since the end of World War II, Willys Motors of Australia apparently took over from 1958 through 1968 producing a number of Willys/Jeeps locally.

Ashley, your truck appears to be one of the "6-230" cab and chassis models. During the 10 year span between '58 and '68 Willys Motors Australia reportedly produced 366 Willys 6-230 models...which would mean your truck is probably pretty rare.

If you find out more about your truck's history, please let us know. Also, if any readers out there have some input please feel free to use the "Comment" section below.

Ashley...keep us up-to-date on your restoration as well. Thanks!